Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Here's My Wild Speculation (Based On Little Actual Information)

March 15, 2024 12:06PM
RAMbler
No, you cannot replace an Aaron Donald. But if they knew, they had to have a plan... right?

I don't believe that Donald was please with the organization's dismantling of the defense last off-season. He rolled with it this past season and was mildly surprised by the efforts of Kobi Turner and Byron Young. Enough so that, in the immediate aftermath of the season-ending loss to Detroit, he said that he wanted to return.

However, upon a further review of the season, he likely realized (as pretty much we all did), that should they ever become exceptional players, Turner and Young were likely another season or two away from that realization. As such, knowing that the team would be flush with cap space this off-season, Donald went to McSnead and told them that, absent an injection of premium veteran D-line talent, he was prepared to retire. I believe that this conversation likely took place prior to the combine which is McSnead was less than committal about AD's return for the 2024 season (this is what Jourdan Rodrigue reported on).
Knowing that they had SOME money, but many other teams had MORE, they told him that they'd put forth their best effort, but weren't going to give up the picks (and compensation) for a tagged Brian Burns or Josh Allen. They also weren't going to go all out for Danielle Hunter in the way they did for Von Miller a couple of season's back. I think that AD understood this and (since he'd already contemplated retirement a couple of season's ago) was at peace either way.

I suspect that the Rams made inquiries to both Jacksonville and Carolina on compensation for the tagged Burns and Allen. And either that and/or their contract demands were higher than they could stomach. I think that they also inquired about Hunter, but new that they'd be priced out once the other two got tagged. So what did they do? Well, taking AD at his word, they pivoted to protecting their most important asset (Matthew Stafford) by re-signing Dotson, and signing Jackson.

AD, reading the tea leaves, doesn't believe that there will be a difference-maker @ 19 and decides to retire. Upon notifying the team of his decision, the two sides (who have had a very good working relationship throughout his career agree to the restructure whereby: A) the team gets some added cap space; and, B ) Donald gets a "thank you" for career service.

I don't believe that Donald was interested in securing another contract or demanding to be traded to a team that would pay him. If he was, I'd only think that the Rams would consider a trade. And if a trade was going to be made, it likely would've been consummated at the combine so the Rams had more flexibility heading into free agency/draft.

The "plan" now for the Rams is to begin life without Aaron Donald.

Pass the popcorn.

Anyways...that's what I think knowing absolutely knowing NOTHING about the situation.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

I wish AD would have retired 1 or 2weeks ago

ferragamo79203March 15, 2024 11:14AM

I think the team knew..

sstrams81March 15, 2024 11:17AM

Re: I think the team knew..

Classicalwit82March 15, 2024 11:22AM

The team knew..

OzRam63March 15, 2024 11:39AM

Then I hope they have a secret plan

RAMbler79March 15, 2024 11:23AM

Re: Then I hope they have a secret plan

Classicalwit70March 15, 2024 11:27AM

Here's My Wild Speculation (Based On Little Actual Information)

ramBRO68March 15, 2024 12:06PM