Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Athlon sports Draft profile on LB Jaylan Ford - Texas

February 29, 2024 08:00PM
[athlonsports.com]
Texas linebacker Jaylan Ford has developed into one of the most impactful second level playmakers in all of college football, boosting his stock as he prepares for the jump to the next level.

Amid the Longhorns’ resurgence as a program, Ford is one of the needle-moving defenders who has illustrated a high level of football IQ. With a three-down skill set, Ford appears aligned for a boost in value because he’s not a player who poses personnel limitations on the second level.

Here’s everything you need to know about this fast-rising defensive prospect as we look ahead to the 2024 NFL Draft:

Background
Eligibility: Senior

DOB: 11/28/2001

Height: 6-foot-3

Weight: 240 lbs

Ford was born in Frisco, TX and played his high school football for Lone Star HS. There, he was a 3-star recruit who garnered interest from a slew of programs. He initially committed to play his college ball at Utah before flipping his commitment to his home state team.

He initially emerged as a promising rotational player before stepping into a prominent role with the team in 2022, flashing game-swinging instincts with ball production en route to being named 1st-team All Big-12. His fourth season with the program in 2023 is his second as a starter.

Where He Wins
Ford shows great feel as an underneath zone defender. His ability to collision route stems and simultaneously feel other eligibles working in his peripheral vision has led him to be one of the most impactful coverage linebackers in the country since the start of 2022. But Ford gets this done without being a hybrid safety type — he’s got a true linebacker build, and projects clearer to life in the box than most other college coverage LBs.

The third down/passing down skill set extends to pressure opportunities as well. If you’re a fire-zone heavy team in obvious passing situations, you’ll like the timing ability of Ford to sync his attack with the snap, and the way he slashes and rips through contact in the box to press to the quarterback. He’s not the most explosive or fluid linebacker in the class, but he’s an impressive athlete with the traits to translate well to the next level.

This is an explosive tackler in tight quarters, too. He’s flashed the ability to serve as a tone-setting hitter, and brings violent finishes through his pads. I appreciate the motor and rally skills to hustle to the football when he’s playing downhill.

Under Construction
For as good as Ford is in coverage, some of the upside of his NFL projection could be limited due to his athletic profile. He’s fluid/twitchy enough, but I'm not sure he's an elite athlete for the position. If not, fast receivers and windows that open quicker may test him and limit the degree of impact he’s proven to have in college.

As a run support player, Ford can continue to develop with his instincts and feel for both gaps to fill and pursue. At times, you see him coming too steep or flat into the track of a running back or scrambling passer and surrendering leverage. Without top-flight athleticism, recovery in these instances will be limited, and his margin for error will be slim.

The Final Word
Linebackers with size who can hit and cover seem to check all the main boxes, no? Ford has good instincts in coverage, and his ability to attack the football is undeniable. There’s room for growth in his angles to the football and his work in run support, but the coverage skill set is hard to ignore as the NFL continues to trend up as a passing league.

Current Projection: Top 100
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Four reported players who have met with the Rams

3030565February 29, 2024 08:32AM

Re: Four reported players who have met with the Rams

alyoshamucci215February 29, 2024 08:36AM

we gotta stop doing this

Deadpool207February 29, 2024 08:39AM

interesting

Deadpool176February 29, 2024 08:38AM

NFL.com draft profile on CB Ennis Rakestraw Jr.

Rams Junkie95February 29, 2024 07:41PM

Ennis Rakestraw Jr. Ultimate Missouri Highlights

Rams Junkie60February 29, 2024 08:04PM

Re: Ennis Rakestraw Jr. Ultimate Missouri Highlights

BerendsenRam63February 29, 2024 08:28PM

NFL.com draft profile on RB Audric Estimé

Rams Junkie65February 29, 2024 07:46PM

NASTIEST RB You Should Be Talking About ND RB Audric Estimé vid

Rams Junkie72February 29, 2024 08:09PM

Re: Highlight fest: ND RB

leafnose52March 01, 2024 04:15AM

NFL.com Draft profile on EDGE Bralen Trice

Rams Junkie79February 29, 2024 07:52PM

Bralen Trice Highlights

Rams Junkie60February 29, 2024 08:07PM

Athlon sports Draft profile on LB Jaylan Ford - Texas

Rams Junkie60February 29, 2024 08:00PM

Jaylan Ford Draft Profile I 2024 NFL Draft Scouting Report & Analysis

Rams Junkie57February 29, 2024 08:14PM

Estime.....oh my gosh....YES!

NewMexicoRam101March 01, 2024 05:29AM

Re: Estime.....oh my gosh....YES!.....5'11" 230, with speed!

oldschoolramfan75March 01, 2024 05:46AM

VANRAM55March 01, 2024 10:12AM

mtramfan55March 01, 2024 10:45AM

A Fire Hydrant with legs !

BerendsenRam35March 01, 2024 10:57AM