Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Nix and Brees are not even remotely similar

February 16, 2024 08:46AM
That site is basically fan-post-level articles being sold to the ignorant masses as a team information site. But they get traffic so idk maybe I'm just an angry old man.

Either way Brees was a completely different QB. Brees lived in the pocket, was not a threat on the ground nor was he an athlete. Brees could win from the pocket in spite of his small stature as well, which is a rare talent among the shorter stature QBs where typically the book on them is to contain them and benefit from them missing things. Definite outlier who saw the field well somehow and also read fast and efficiently, which is why he went round 2. A QB who compares to him somewhat would be Young, though Young was more of a threat on the ground, but he is a guy who might be able to win from the pocket in spite of his small stature, and the jury's still out on him of course. But those types--who can win from the pocket in spite of small size--are hard to find.

Nix is a QB who benefits from an offense built around quick reads and ball distribution that spreads the field. He's a classic WCO type QB. He does have enough arm to hit deep passes and there are examples of great throws he has made deep, but he doesn't look like a QB who will win from the pocket. And he doesn't have the courage to sit in that pocket and let routes develop and look comfortable. You gotta feed him confidence completions underneath like with a lot of these iffy WCO types. But he is also very athletic and a ground threat.

But I don't want to hate on Nix. There is room of course for him to develop, and I give the guy a ton of credit in earning a resurgence after a bad start in college. He is definitely a player who is mentally tough, to do that like he did, so I wouldn't bet against him. He has the talent to succeed in the NFL for sure, given the proliferation of WCO types running just about every offense nowadays. But I don't think he's a McVay fit because he doesn't have the pocket presence or eye for looking downfield and taking advantage of defenses, though maybe he could learn those things. I just feel like certain QBs have certain tendencies at that age and development, and I don't see him ever being a guy who can stretch a field vertically without the coach constantly reminding him and pushing him to do it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2024 08:53AM by merlin.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Could Bo Nix do for the Rams what Drew Brees did for the Saints?

BerendsenRam273February 15, 2024 03:23PM

My ratings

Stafford993February 16, 2024 02:42AM

Re: My ratings

Ramboni67February 16, 2024 09:27AM

Re: My ratings

Stafford958February 16, 2024 12:29PM

The QB crap shoot. Why not Wentz?

RockRam84February 16, 2024 03:20AM

Hope They Can Keep Wentz.

den-the-coach81February 16, 2024 03:42AM

Re: Hope They Can Keep Wentz.