Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Blinkscout Senior Bowl analysis ... off the ball Defense

February 06, 2024 11:07AM
alyoshamucci
Finishing up the final groups ... ILBs have the worst "quality to draft" ratio I think in the NFL. Absolute studs are often drafted in the 4th and we just need a solid #2 so that means 6th. Also, we get the least visuals on LBs so instead of saying DNP I'll say DNS because I might have just not seen him.

Senior Bowl always gives me good analysis on DBs ... because I see if they hold, and if they compete.

Jaylan Ford Texas LB DNS ... chase LB with athleticism, might kill the combine but had only above average tape.I like him as a ILB in a cover 2 type defense, he is athletic enough to drop into zone coverage, yet rugged enough to defend the run. Later day 3 guy

Ty’Ron Hopper Missouri MLB Smaller ... you're new age 6-0 224 guy ... ex Gator ... really really good football player. Curious on test numbers but he made plays every drive. Has been a 6th round target for me. He lined up all over, mostly in the box next to the other ILB in the 34, he's a complimentary backer that can go sideline to sideline, perfect fit next to Jones. Day 3, early probably

Tyrice Knight UTEP MLB More old school, maybe a tad slower than I'd like. Maybe draftable.The game I saw, I was unimpressed. Once engaged by a blocker, he shuts down, weaves around blockers, no shed ability, lost in coverage. made a ton of tackles. Needs to be a WILL in the NFL. super late day 3 or UDFA

Trevin Wallace Kentucky LB The Kentucky defense was different without him. Leader. Target 5th or later, but likely to go earlier. Day 3 type to me

Nathaniel Watson Mississippi State MLB I'd consider him with the extra 3rd rounder we just got. Maybe a trade down to the fourth. Dude is a machine. His test #s will put him around where we got Earnest Jones. Note, Im saying I think he slides, but I have a top 50 grade on him right now. He wasn't a pas rusher and led the SEC in sacks (along with tackles). He plays through the whistle, which I love, can stack and shed, can drop into coverage and hits with bad intentions. I have him as early day 3.

Michael Barrett Michigan MLB Big questions here. He had an injury ... he's older ... but he has made some splash plays in my memory ... I thik #s and medical will make him a 3rd or a 7th. Safety turned LBer, wrap and drag tackler, blockers give him trouble, I think he's best as a SAM where he can run with TEs. Day 3 guy

JD Bertrand Notre Dame MLB Diagnostician, quick reads, quick reactions, faster than I had thought. Again, one of these guys is going to slide to the 5th, they simply do not covet the position anymore. ILB in a cover 2 type defense, I like his range, day 3

Jontrey Hunter Georgia State MLB I am unfamiliar here, got half a GS game and heard the announcers mention him doing stuff off camera ... and liking him. Anyone have eyes on his tape? Saw him against LSU, drag down tackler, looks like a safety, played box and overhang, he can run with TEs. Sam backer in 43, or ILb IN 34 next to someone like Jones.

Cedric Gray North Carolina MLB Target round 5 .. big enough, faster than I'd thought ... had a good week after a great career. Again, I'm looking for someone whocould take over for Jones if we decide not to pay him. Super athletic, rangey, with great insticts. Needs to get stronger. Wish he was more violent. day 3, 5th seems right. He'd fit right next to Jones

Edefuan Ulofoshio Washington MLB Got lost a bit on that defense. Got lost a bit this week.

Marist Liufau Notre Dame LB Fast ... not the mental player Bertrand is but a pure secondary chase LB.agree, he's fast with a big motor, needs to be covered up. day 3

Payton Wilson NC State LB Butkus winner. Dipped after a few good days ... BUT ...medical and age could sink him. One note ... he had a recorded GPS this year of 23mph. He may run a 4.3 40 at 6-4 235. If he drops to the 3rd I'm thinking it's worth the risk "for me" ...Rangey doesn't even begin to describe this dude. Great instincts, kinda lean, but man, he would be devestating next to EJ. Round 2. Love this kid

CB (I need to see combine #s for these guys, all of them)
Johnny Dixon Penn State DB CB, Stock rose while his teammates' fell during the year because he got targeted a lot and held up. Had an okay week, he's a little stiff but he's a gamer. 4th or 5th rounder ... prefer him as a 4th CB who could step in during injury. Agree, kinda handsy, day 3 early

Willie Drew Virginia State DB Small school kid just seeing him the first time ... thought he held up okay but no big splashes. Interested in seeing him at the combine.Never saw him, he held up fine so day 3?

Cam Hart Notre Dame DB Up and down guy ... big at 6-2 205. Made some picks against Tez Walker and blew up a running play in the game. No idea where he goes. I like him as a safety moving forward. Or CB in press man maybe

Khyree Jackson Oregon DB This guys was again, all over the place for me this year, likely because I saw Oregon lose to washington twice, and that included a lot of CBs getting dunked on by WRs. I thought he had a good week, likely a top 75 guy. Also, he's 6-3 204. Another press man or safety type. Late day 2 to early day 3. I want to see him move at the combine

Kalen King Penn State DB He had an off year so Im curious where he falls ... didn't have the best week either. Its like he peaked 2 years ago and is falling off. 3rd round for me. Harrison destroyed this kid

Max Melton Rutgers DB Brother of WR Bo Melton, better prospect. I like him quite a bit. I think he's second tier at best assuming he tests like I think he will. He's a baller. I like that. I like him as well, think he is a rock solid round 2 guy

Quinyon Mitchell Toledo DB Best week of any CB I've seen. Dipped after day 2. Could be a top ten pick after the combine. the go route where he ran with Roman Wilson was a 5 million dollar rep. I liked him going back years, but did not expect Toledo to translate like that. Yeah, I think he will end up being my CB1. Never seen a Senior Bowl week like he had

Chau Smith-Wade Washington State DB You kow, he got better during the week and finished strong ... I have a game on WSU I need to watch and so I'll get another look at him. Looks like a early day 3 zone CB to me

Jarvis Brownlee Jr. Louisville DB Good year, good week ... with good tests he could crawl into round 2 but I'd think definitely day 2. Agreed, he seems under rated

Caelen Carson Wake Forest DB Had better tape n previous years but I think he was dinged. We have inside track because of Kobie but I doubt he gets higher than a third but also that he's seen as lower than a 5th. Looks like a solid day 2 that is aggressive, sometimes too much. Great size for the position. I like him

D.J. James Auburn DB Kid who got beat on the Alabama comeback 4th and goal from the 20. Handsy, not my type. Super light, good instincts, zone only. round 3ish. Not a Rams type CB

Elijah Jones Boston College DB He fits what I want in a CB, need to se his numbers, had a decent week. He's a day 3 zone CB target of mine. A rams type CB, curious how he runs myself

Andru Phillips Kentucky DB From what I understand he wasn't the starter when he got playing time, but he showed out on tape and had a decent week. Like his feet a lot. No career INTs, but he looks like a solid depth piece. day 3

Nehemiah Pritchett Auburn DB He's likely a scheme fit only type of guy so he'll slide ... day 3 depth piece, I like him as long as the Rams don't draft him to start him. At least early on.

Kris Abrams-Draine Missouri DB I like the Mizzou DBs. He's tough, maybe a little stiff ... but he battles. He seems over aggressive at times, fits all over though. day 3 depth guy

SAFETY
Cole Bishop Utah DB Team captain, missed some time with little injuries. I had him as a target coming into this year for 3rd to 5th rounds. He can cover and hit, has decent enough hands. Good leader.my early day 3 Safety target. He is a Rams type DB, Can cover, can blitz, can help in the run game. Needs to add strength. Team leader.

Jaden Hicks Washington State DB Didn't see him much this week, but his tape is okay. I don't have him as a starter so he'd be a special teamer ... Big box type SS, aggressive. Early day 3

Kitan Oladapo Oregon State DB 6-2 219. I thought he had some good reps in coverage and bad ... likely a late rounder that breaks in on teams. Testing #s will matter. Agree with all of this.

Josh Proctor Ohio State DB Doesn't wow anyone, but is in the right place usually. Late rounder maybe. I like him moving forward rather than dropping into zone, day 3 guy

Sione Vaki Utah DB This is the two way kiddo (also a Rcool smiley. And he's talented enough in each to maybe make a team at one position ... but if you feel comfy training him for two? I think you draft him. So many injuries now. Day 3 I guess, no idea what to do with him

Evan Williams Oregon DB I was high on him last year at Fresno, then he transferred and seemed to take a bit to get settled. I still think he will be a starter and will be under drafted, so I'm watching his numbers and hoping he slides. he made a great play in the game, but it's not unusual for him given his awareness. Day 3 depth piece IMO, nothing he does stands out. Steady is the word.

Beau Brade Maryland DB 5-11.5 and 208 with big hands ... one of my targets at the position. maryland guys were fast last year and went off the board kinda earlier than I'd thought, so Im not holding my breath for him to slide to the third. He can do a little of everything. He got beat over the top the game I saw, He'd be my guy in round 3. I think he can make it there.

Javon Bullard Georgia DB This it tough ... with furious front 7s it's tough to get a real read on safeties. He's a smidge under sized but I know he hits and plays with passion. I like him more than his teammate Smith. Agreed he's a bit undersized. middle round guy

Kamren Kinchens Miami (FL) DB This was the #1 safety coming into the year, and he was one of a few true juniors in the game. 5-11 206, has great tape going back a couple years. He has plus ball skills and hits. I think he ends up a top 50 guy that goes early second.My #2 S and a solid 2nd rounder in a weak S class.

Malik Mustapha Wake Forest DB Not much on tape ... not much during the week. I just need more on him. Undersized box safety...weird. Day 3 guy. I like him

Jaylin Simpson Auburn DB Undersized, I liked the Auburn CBs better ... Agree, day 3

Tykee Smith Georgia DB Same problem as with Bullard, though Tykee came in with more hype. The announcers were mixing them up and they changed numbers during the week. He's a little heavier and shorter than Bullard, I think he hits a little harder also. Another one where combine #s and watching fluidity will help me.3rd round S to me, I like Bullard more, could just be me.

James Williams Miami (FL) DB Let him play safety guys. I know he's 6-5 230, but he played solid safety for Miami. I'm not moving him into the LB pile. He and Carlies from Mizzou in this draft are big safeties, not LBs. They can play deep middle and make picks ... they don't have the body type to face up a pulling guard. They're fluid, less violent (No offense James). As a safety he's a 4th or 5th rounder, he's not draftable as a LB. If he can run in the 4.5s (and he will) then I agree, keep him as a S in a split zone system. He isn't a single high S, day 3

Thanks for reading everyone, lemme know if I missed anything ... and again, looking forward to Deadpool's red reponses if he gets the time.
Hopefully I'll have my first mock up soon.

Don't waste your time looking back, you're not going that way. - Ragnar Lothbrok
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Blinkscout Senior Bowl analysis ... off the ball Defense

alyoshamucci343February 06, 2024 06:30AM

Re: Blinkscout Senior Bowl analysis ... off the ball Defense

Deadpool163February 06, 2024 11:07AM

Thank You Very Much !

BerendsenRam53February 06, 2024 03:20PM

nothing on Carlton Johnson?

21Dog66February 06, 2024 06:05PM

Quinyon Mitchell

six2stack106February 06, 2024 07:59PM

Re: Quinyon Mitchell