Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Does McVay want or need a Wade anymore?

February 01, 2024 06:43AM
When hiring the youngest coach in the league, potential ownership needs reassurances that the young HC won't crap the bed, bringing in a long tenured HC as your DC allows the young coach to concentrate on his side of the ball, trusting the other side to the veteran HC, and also having a sounding board when the inevitable unexpected happens. I don't get the feeling that McVay is looking for that anymore, or he wouldn't have gone the Staley route. The Staley hire suggested he wanted a mirror image of himself an inexperienced innovator to do for his defense what he was doing for his offense, who would force McVay to grow but also give him understanding of defense like he has of offense. Morris was the perfect blend of the two, a motivator who had the HC experience so he could definitively run a defense but had that McVay energy. I don't think Rivera fits what I think McVay is seeking out. I know his mad experiment with Staley ended abruptly when the Chargers lured him away so he might want to finish that. He might however realize that the league has caught up with the Fangio defense so he might try his "team of rivals" approach with an up and coming acolyte of the newest en vogue defensive scheme.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

The DC Report: Could Ron Rivera be the next Wade Phillips for Rams?

BerendsenRam177January 31, 2024 08:23AM

Beyond innovation there's the player relationship aspect

promomasterj111January 31, 2024 08:31AM

IMO he was above average as the HC of the panthers.....

roman1882January 31, 2024 08:50AM

Does McVay want or need a Wade anymore?

RamsDynasty47February 01, 2024 06:43AM

Re: Does McVay want or need a Wade anymore?

BerendsenRam42February 01, 2024 08:37AM