Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sports Illustrated lays off most of its staff, threatening iconic brand’s future

January 19, 2024 07:44AM
Sports Illustrated lays off most of its staff, threatening iconic brand’s future

By Ben Strauss
January 19, 2024 at 12:25 p.m. EST

Much of the staff of Sports Illustrated, and possibly all remaining writers and editors, received layoff notices Friday, which essentially could spell the end of a publication that for decades was the gold standard of sports journalism.

The stunners. The cheers. The home runs, hat tricks and gameday magic. Don’t miss out with The Sports Moment, a newsletter for the biggest sports news.
The union of the staff tweeted Friday that it would continue to fight for the publication of the magazine but that its future is now in the hands of the magazine’s owner, Authentic Brands Group.

“This is another difficult day in what has been a difficult four years for Sports Illustrated under Arena Group (previously The Maven) stewardship," the union said in a statement. "We are calling on ABG to ensure the continued publication of SI and allow it to serve our audience in the way it has for nearly 70 years.”

ABG has owned the magazine since 2019 and sold the publishing rights to a company called the Arena Group. The Arena Group missed a recent payment for those publishing rights, prompting ABG to pull the publishing license and putting the future of Sports Illustrated in jeopardy.

“As a result of this license revocation, we will be laying off staff that work on the SI brand,” the note to staff read, adding that some employees would be terminated immediately, while others would work through the end of a 90-day notice period.

ABG has not told staff of future plans for the publication or if it will license the publishing rights to another company.

Friday’s announcement is the latest turmoil at the fabled sports magazine, following several rounds of layoffs over the past decade. When ABG bought Sports Illustrated from its previous owner, Meredith Corporation, more than 30 percent of the staff was laid off.

Sports Illustrated still has around 80 employees in its bargaining unit.

This is a developing story and will be updated.

[www.washingtonpost.com]

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

MamaRAMa152January 19, 2024 07:44AM

I work for the company that publishes it

Hazlet Hacksaw98January 19, 2024 07:51AM

Re: I work for the company that publishes it

MamaRAMa84January 19, 2024 07:53AM

BerendsenRam53January 19, 2024 08:00AM

Hawaii Rams Fan68January 19, 2024 08:19AM

mtramfan73January 19, 2024 08:26AM

50+ years of memories

L.A.Rams89January 19, 2024 08:17AM

I lost interest when Zimmerman retired nm

Hazlet Hacksaw49January 19, 2024 08:18AM

Re: 50+ years of memories

BerendsenRam48January 19, 2024 08:22AM

Didn't the mag go to the dogs some time ago?

Coy Bacon62January 19, 2024 08:36AM