Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Afterthoughts ..Arm Chair QB and turning the page!

January 15, 2024 01:56PM
So I'm going to preface this with McVay is by far my favorite coach wouldn't trade him for anyone..Im thrilled he's our coach and I hope he's with us for years to come ... that said I don't think he's beyond reproach or question and at times I do think he makes bad decisions in the heat of the moment.

Another poster asks "is coach elite or just good" fair question... my opinion is he is elite but makes mistakes at times ..same way I'd say Stafford is elite but can make a bad decision at times.
So I think both can be true you can be elite and still make mistakes nobody is perfect.

So as for last night bullet point my thoughts ..and it's not hindsight on my part because I was saying it in real time.

A. With one timeout down 1 at your opponents 44 with 4 mins you just can't punt.... and I get 4th 14 is low %
but the way that game was going it was a big ask on the Def to get a 3 and out
and the risk vs reward just doesn't compute... at least not to me

Sean rolled the dice on that they would get the 3 and out ... I would think most would agree if your rolling the dice with season on line do it with your best unit and it's definitely my opinion that would be our offense especially in a game Stafford is carving them up.

We gained a net 27 yrds by punting.... in Mcvays defense was he expecting our punter to pin them inside the 5 ..that might have changed the dynamic of play calling by Detroit etc .... our punter needed to do better there imo

B. The burning timeout stuff has been a constant in the McVay era ... it needs to change ... those timeouts would have been game changing in last nights scenario and I'll argue the mismanagement of clock and timeouts cost us the Pittsburgh game.

My thought is in a league where passing yards are seemingly pretty easy to come by unless the clock is hitting zero at a critical juncture of game take the delay of gm and move on
To me 3rd and 8 or 3rd 13 just doesn't seem worth burning a timeout to me
I'd like feedback on your opinions on that kinda thing ?

C. Officiating ... we took some bad calls last night some that really left me scratching my head .... seemed the officiating really benefitted Detroit
That said I hate being that guy crying about the calls and making excuses the calls were the calls and the scoreboard is all that ultimately matters .... some days you get lemons some days it's lemonade .... our inability in the redzone was the true story of why we lost .. to me it's just as simple as that .

D. just observation kinda speaks to the league being hypocritical and to officiating .... some here are shocked by the Lions borderline dirty play .. I saw some dirty or definitely walking a thin thin line of dirty ? I ask why?
Seems like Dan Campbell is new media darling everyone applauds him...puzzling in an era where the league preaches player safety ... this guy introduced himself to the media on hiring "we are taking kneecaps " etc etc
well they got Higbee's last night that's a shame ... just seems weird people loved that sound bite applauded it.

So in closing great year ... such a fun team unexpectedly good !! Future looks pretty bright but each season tells a different story?

Hope everything breaks our way next year.
Bummed the season is over I really like the build up during the week and especially in the playoffs

Now just rooting against the Niners !!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2024 02:55PM by Headslap75.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Afterthoughts ..Arm Chair QB and turning the page!

Headslap75246January 15, 2024 01:56PM

Nice post..

sstrams83January 15, 2024 02:31PM

nice job headslap

Speed_Kills66January 15, 2024 05:58PM