Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Merlin with a very nice post regarding Ram D suggestions…

December 22, 2023 05:47PM
Here’s Merlin…

I'd like to see if we can have a conversation about our defense that does not involve the coaching. Try to keep this to personnel only. And the reason I think this is important is because we are on the cusp of making the playoffs but we're doing it with a lot of subpar parts and the question of how far we can go basically comes down to this unit. So this means here is the critical question right now:

"What adjustments can be made to make them better?"

For starters I think our biggest problem of late is our speed outside the hashes. Durant had to play in that game vs New Orleans due to matchups. But going forward what is the best combination of players out there for us IF we get in as that wildcard. Do we have answers on that depth chart.

I can't for the life of me figure out why Tomlinson is buried on the depth chart. My expectation was that he'd own a job by midseason. I was wrong, clearly. So maybe there's some ego at play here but if his problem is knowing the scheme can't we simplify the calls for him or something to improve the quality of the actual player in the role? Maybe his problem is not the scheme though. Idk.

Re: Durant it felt good to see him out there. On the outside he adds pick six threat on those quick throws that try to isolate corners. So while he's weak as @#$%& physically the guy does have some advantage to him. He's not going to suddenly get stronger in the remaining window here. But maybe he's ready to take a lead role and help this defense improve a little bit on that boundary.

Lake I have to say has impressed the hell out of me in that slot role. It's impressive. But in a way it's not a good thing because it keeps him from that pairing. Or maybe more accurately he may be able to help us in that pairing.

Spoon all I can say is I don't think we have anyone who can handle his responsibility. So regretfully we're gonna need to ride him the rest of the way.

So here's what I'd do fwiw:

:helmet: First I'd move Lake back into that pairing. I'd start him there over Fuller. And look I respect Fuller's game but he had one top season with us and since that time the guy is hit and miss as hell. Lake is young, he's smart, he's physical. He might @#$%& it up on calls where he's got deep responsibility, but we already suffer that with Fuller. So let's give the kid a look. Worst case is more of the same. But best case is he elevates that pairing with JJ, who is better than Fuller in that regard. Also and lastly the extent of looks Lake would face can be adjusted in calls. Rams are capable of these things and have been doing them all season.

:helmet: Secondly I'd put Tomlinson in the slot and just man him up on whoever the draw is. No @#$%&. Try to keep his responsibilities as simple as possible. If the staff feels it is necessary to alternate him with Kendrick that is fine by me. Letting those two alternate possessions would tap into their competitive instincts. But I'd put a corner in that job and try to keep it simple to ensure I get good coverage snap to snap.

:helmet: Third I'd have Jones coming on the blitz more frequently. This guy has a knack for affecting the QB. He's smart, he's strong, and his timing on the blitz is superb. The fact he affects A gaps so consistently is a weapon we need to take better advantage of. Now that said every QB is different. There are some who you can beat by dropping more guys to pick errant passes. And there are some who you are better off adding rushers to try to move their feet. In the games ahead if we get Goff for example you're better off with the extra rusher because he's one of those QBs who will repeatedly hit that open receiver. But I think Jones is a weapon that can improve our odds.

Not saying I have all the answers here. But I think for us to play up that darkhorse role we're going to need internal improvements in the defense, and in particular the secondary.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Merlin with a very nice post regarding Ram D suggestions…

Rams43321December 22, 2023 05:47PM

Re: Merlin with a very nice post regarding Ram D suggestions…

Classicalwit75December 23, 2023 01:44AM

Re: Merlin with a very nice post regarding Ram D suggestions…

Old Goat55December 23, 2023 03:37AM