Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Agreed on McVay

October 23, 2023 02:20PM
McVay is of course quite easy to like on the surface.
There are various forms of intelligence and he seems to suffer from a critical lack of some around some blind spots revealed in his in-game management and play-calling on the fly once his initial plans and strategy has been thwarted. It has NOT improved as we observed this weekend yet again. Adjusting to changing battlefield conditions is critical for any OC/DC play-caller.

As you stated, there is plenty to like about McVay but he is not growing and maturing as a coach in some key areas that limit the team's success and he is in about as good of spot as any could wish for as a NFL HC. It's ALL on him as he as everything to his advantage and to his disposal. I almost think he needs to hire a real military tactician with NFL experience to teach him how think and process information quickly during fast changing in-game conditions. Lord knows he has all the connections and resources he needs at his discretion.

You're absolutely spot-on on his "in-game situational awareness". It's pretty much the same thing I am alluding to. Adapting on the fly to quickly changing battlefield conditions.

I made a comment about his SB win above. A lot of that had to do with fielding and all-star team, the special connection between Stafford and Kupp and the all-world dominance of Donald. It covered up A LOT of McVay's and Raheem's flaws.

I too am okay with him as HC but I would prefer someone else calling the plays on offense but we both know McVay is unlikely to let go of those duties anytime soon.

Raheem has improved this year (likely in part due to the newly added coaches) but I am not a fan of his defensive philosophy, nature or tactical in-game management. Raheem getting hired as HC somewhere is wishful thinking but I'd take the two extra 3rd rounders over him easy. Cross your fingers the woke NFL and their affirmative action hiring policies leads someone to make a decision based on political pressure over merit much like we see in so many other instances these days like all over the Biden admin..

The Rams are getting close on talent, esp. with a productive off-season, 2024 draft and free agency and perhaps a selective trade here and there. The coaching also still needs significant improvement or else that will blunt and thwart the talent acquisition.

Good hunting next week at the Cowpukes and watch out for the bias sportscasters and refs! LOL

-----

Ramsdude
GRAM Torino
Much obliged.
I definitely get that other see elements of that differently but even being generous giving the defense a bit of pass due to youth, inexperience and lack of another quality edge rusher (not a fan of Raheem as DC either) I don't think McVay deserves a break at all. He's largely responsible for the lack of performance on offense, esp. since he has more than enough talent on that side of the ball and the rep plus hype of being an offensive wonderkid. The problems on offense definitely are with him as HC and definitely as the OC/play-caller.

I LOVE the guy. I really do but he just has a habit of doing some stupid things. I am not saying he is stupid, just some of the decisions like not playing Tutu sooner, passing the ball when he should be running, time out usage, etc.

Some people get offended when you critic a coach, not me. I am not afraid to call it as I see it. I am not always right but who is? lol

One my issues with McVay is his "situational awareness" issues. That's how we use our TO's too often due to low play clock running out. That's how we become one dimensional and almost get our QB killed and it costs us games we should win.

Yes, I know he won us a SB but that was several years ago and he still makes a lot of the same mistakes. For someone as smart as he is, you would think he would realize the mistakes and fix them. Instead, it's almost like he doesn't even know there is an issue.

Having said that, I am fine with keeping him as our HC for a long long time. I see more good with McVay than I do bad.

I also am not Raheem's biggest fan (as you probably already know lol ) but have been impressed with his ability to get through to these young kids and get them to buy into what he is selling.

His play calling this year is way better and more aggressive this season that the whole time he has been here but there is still room for improvement.

I am not sure Morris gets a HC job this year no matter how good our D is. Unfortunately for him, it's been 14 years since his last HC opportunity. That is long time to be over looked and I am not sure that will change just because he has one good season as a DC.

I still think our future is bright. We need more talent and better coaching to go with it. It's a process. We might be a bit ahead of where we are supposed to be which is good. I see some good players that can be part of something bigger down the road.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Tough day to join the board and first post but...

GRAM Torino365October 22, 2023 07:17PM

Welcome

BumRap91October 22, 2023 08:27PM

Re: Welcome

GRAM Torino54October 23, 2023 05:12AM

GRAM Torino!!! Welcome and......

Ramgator62October 23, 2023 01:38AM

Re: GRAM Torino!!! Welcome and......

GRAM Torino52October 23, 2023 04:55AM

Re: Tough day to join the board and first post but...

BeachBoy64October 23, 2023 02:15AM

GRAM Torino46October 23, 2023 04:59AM

73Ram47October 23, 2023 02:46AM

GRAM Torino40October 23, 2023 04:58AM

73Ram38October 23, 2023 12:09PM

Great first post!

Ramsdude63October 23, 2023 02:58AM

Re: Great first post!

GRAM Torino37October 23, 2023 04:54AM

Agreed on McVay

Ramsdude50October 23, 2023 05:39AM

GRAM Torino32October 23, 2023 02:20PM

Rams4331October 24, 2023 03:55AM

GRAM Torino28October 24, 2023 05:28AM

Glad you joined

NewMexicoRam57October 23, 2023 04:06AM

Re: Glad you joined

GRAM Torino42October 23, 2023 04:47AM

Very, very impressive first post…

Rams4361October 23, 2023 05:08AM

Re: Very, very impressive first post…

GRAM Torino50October 23, 2023 05:23AM

Rams4354October 23, 2023 05:37AM

GRAM Torino45October 23, 2023 11:33AM

sfbayram33October 23, 2023 12:54PM

GRAM Torino45October 23, 2023 01:43PM