Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

some thoughts after 5 games in

October 09, 2023 07:00PM
Hopefully I don't ramble on, been a minute since I posted.

1) This is a clean the cap and get ready for next year season, so expecting the youngest roster in the NFL to compete with the 2 best teams in the NFL in SF and Philly is all you can ask for. Expecting wins is just going to lead to frustration and heartbreak. This board has the smartest fans on the internet, act like it. Which leads me to #2

2) Mediocrity sucks. Its literal purgatory in any sport, esp the NFL. You play yourself out of a top 12 pick, and yet you aren't sniffing the playoffs, and even if you do, you aren't going anywhere. On top of that, you are too good to blow it up and rebuild in earnest, but yet aren't gonna be good enough to really challenge for a SB. Add in the fact that you probably have just enough good players that your cap is tied up for the most part. Now before I get roasted, let me say this the way that old, grouchy mother @#$%& Gator types: I AM NOT SUGGESTING OR WANTING THE RAMS TO LOSE, I AM SAYING IT DOESN"T BOTHER ME THIS YEAR THAT THEY DO. They need help and not just in FA. A high first rounder either gets you a player or gets you a player in a trade.

3) I have personally enjoyed this season so far as I get to watch the young guys get playing time that will be crucial to next year when the Rams make another push. Williams has been everything I thought the could be (from my draft review: Plays bigger than his size. Good pass catcher. Not a HR hitter. Due to size, a time share in a zone scheme is his best landing spot., I am thrilled to be wrong about Turner, equally thrilled to be right with Young. Nacua was tricky because Alyo and I both thought he was better than we graded him, but those injuries...The young safeties are looking good as well. Tutu is finding hia stride.

4) 4 highest paid positions on an NFL field: QB, Pass Rusher, LT and shitdown CB. You need to be able to pass, protect the passer, rush the passer or defend the passer in the NFL. The Rams are lacking in 3 of those 4 spots. And we all knew this. So when you are lacking 75% of the most crucial positions, you aren't winning. Which leads me to the roster as I see it today:

5) Offense: If the offense is so great, why are the Rams not scoring points? Well, Kupp out is one thing and it will take time with the Stafford timing, but he looked good from highlights (combining soybeans, missed the game) I still think work needs to be done at OC, LT and if Dotson is not a longterm signing RG. LG and RT are fine, and I love the fact the Rams are adding man/power blocking to the scheme. It means big nasties and not just dancing bears. Kyren is fine in a time share, but I think the Rams are gonna hunt a bigger back this offseason. They also need to add a WR to replace Van Jefferson. He gone.

6) defense: Holes galore. ILB is fine, CB needs a stud, OLB needs a stud and at least one more IDL. AD is on his own this year unless Young really cranks it up.

7) I really think the Rams end up middle of the pack this year. And for me, thats ok. Gives everyone else a chance to win. Besides, even if they make the playoffs as a WC, it looks like SF and Philly this year.

8)As far as college goes, guys Im liking and looking at in various rounds of the draft:

Cooper DeJean. Just like Branch last draft, CDJ is a perfect fit. He plays slot, OCB and some nickle LBer. He is the perfect STAR position for the Rams. Size and fluidity to play inside outside and toughness to play in the box some. Do Not Care About His 40 Time. He looks like a first rounder. Top 4ish CB to me.

Thor Griffith - Harvard. Watched him friday night vs Cornell? Game wrecker at 6'-2" 315 lbs with an amazing burst off the snap and a relentless motor. Double teamed all night and it didn't matter. HS wrestling champ and tough as nails.

Sedrick Van Pran - My top OC if he came out last year, I think he is a 2nd rounder like most OCs, but at 6'-4" 310ish, he finalizes the Rams IOL rebuild

Laiatu Latu - UCLA Edge rusher, his medicals will be everything as he medically retired a couple years ago, but is now tearing it up. Love his size at 6'-4" 265

Chop Robinson - Penn St edge rusher, needs to up his game from what I've seen this year, but its a seemingly weak year for edge rushers, so you might have to trade for one or sign a FA.

Raheim Sanders Arky is my favorite RB for the Rams. Size, power, speed. I also like Isaiah Davis from South Dakota State.

Some small school studs I love: Hayden Hatten from Idaho (FCS WR giving me Kupp vibes) Kiran Amegadjie OT from Yale, he dominated the game I saw on Espn plus. 6'-5" 320. I think he may end up indside, but very fun to watch.

Anyhow, time to get back to harvest, and weening some calves, and celebrating my parents 50th, my oldest daughters 21st and maybe catch a Rams game before the holidays...

Don't waste your time looking back, you're not going that way. - Ragnar Lothbrok
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

some thoughts after 5 games in

Deadpool504October 09, 2023 07:00PM

Re: some thoughts after 5 games in

mtramfan125October 09, 2023 07:25PM

One Small Clarification Question

Ramadune173October 09, 2023 07:54PM

wow

Deadpool163October 09, 2023 08:19PM

By the way...

Ramadune119October 09, 2023 08:38PM

Re: wow