Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Some thoughts on the ‘morning after’…

September 18, 2023 05:42AM
Our Rams played their hearts out against a SB caliber team and we’re all justifiably proud of them. They just gave the vaunted 49ers all that they wanted and then some.

And just for context this is only 2 games into a 17 game season so there’s plenty of opportunity ahead for tweaking adjustments.

Here are a few things I hope to see addressed in the coming weeks:

RB situation might need tweaking. What’s the plan? Maybe some snaps for Zach Evans? Rivers? Or bring in an outsider for some help (not Taylor, he’s good but unaffordable)?

What’s the plan at RG? Boom is already hurt with his first injury halfway through the 2nd game and he doesn’t shine at run blocking anyway. Anchrum didn’t particularly impress. Is Dotson gonna get a shot? We gave up a pick and picked up his salary so why not check out our investment in him?

What happened to the 12 sets we were expecting vs 49ers? I think this TE room has potential but only McVay can decide to actually use them. C’mon, Sean. That TE room is your friend. Lol.

Is the stunted Ram running game a RB, OL, or scheme problem? Or maybe all of them combined? Gotta fix that issue if we want to be in the playoff club.

Is Van Jefferson even a 3rd WR on a Kupp-less roster? One catch, seriously? I’d sit him and give his snaps to some combo of Robinson, Skow, and Trammel until one of them steps up significantly. I’m done with VJ. Something is just missing with that guy and it’s hurting our O big time. It’s all about results, baby.

What to do with Hoecht? Does he have a mental problem with contain responsibilities? This should have been ironed out before the opener. Very frustrating. Edge probably won’t be fixed until next draft now, but meanwhile every team is gonna be attacking Hoecht because he’s one of our 2 weakest links on D.

Which brings me to our other weakest link on D, namely Kendrick. I would sit Kendrick and start Tomlinson in the very next game and never look back. Yeah, Tomlinson is a rookie and will make mistakes as he learns on the job, but look at Kendrick who is doing the same thing in spades and killing us in the process. Tomlinson is a sticky little mofo. Tomlinson’s ceiling is far higher than Kendrick’s ever will be. I mean, what does Morris have to lose with this change?

Don’t get me wrong. This Ram team pleased me yesterday with a performance overall that exceeded my expectations. We’ve lost badly to these 49ers in the past with vastly more experienced players than we had yesterday. I’m a great admirer of the coaching and the heart and effort of so many youngsters. I continue to believe we will finish with a winning record and possibly make the playoffs with these players because they will grow weekly by leaps and bounds.

This post was intended to point out a very few areas that I would most like Rams to shore up. Most are relatively quick fixes, I believe.

I firmly still believe that this team will continue to be scrappy and entertaining. Possibly will be among my favorite teams to root for all time. They just gave the 49ers all that they could handle and our young Rams haven’t even gelled together yet.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Some thoughts on the ‘morning after’…

Rams43155September 18, 2023 05:42AM