Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I think you see it right

August 13, 2023 08:24PM
ramBRO

So, I took your advice and rewatched this play. Gonna try to stay in my lane here, but it appears as though the Chargers are in 12-personnel with both TE's lined up to the right. Not a coach, but considering the alignment and down & distance, they (the Chargers) are telegraphing a run to the right - which they do.

At the snap, the two TE's engage Copeland and Hoecht. One of the TE's does a pretty good job of staying in front of Copeland (who initially looked as though he'd beaten the block) for a loss. Hoecht (a former interior DL) is unable to get off his TE block until the play is nearly past him (maybe too concerned about keeping containment?).

5-yard gain.

Agreed that things are never as simple as they seem, but I wouldn't expect TE's to sustain their blocks against D-linemen so well.

I think you see that Hoecht could maybe disengage a bit quicker, but what I see is Brown--with good long arms pushing back---I have a checkmark on him, then he is slow to disengage---he should have at least, IMO, gotten arm on the guy ... I gave him a red "X" there...so he does his technique well to a point, then
doesn't get off. A microsecond is all it takes Copeland got penetration, he backdoored the TE, but when he flattened to make the play the TE recovered...so you saw that the same way I did..if the play had been to Copelands side it's a tackle for loss, but it's not ... so to me, Brown III could have been better.

Now, here is where it gets complicated and I don't know the call

Rams play gap and a half but Copeland and Brown IV didn't do that. They crashed...and that left the hole the RB went through. Normally Copeland would have taken on the TE and squeezed him inside. Pushed to his right---tightened the hole. Had he done that, Brown III would not have had so far to go and would have made tackle.

So, what is a called play for Copeland and Brown IV to penetrate? Brown IV up top does and inside swim, that's a pass rush move, not a run-stop move.
Answer? I don't know. Were they freelancing? A planned call by Eric Henderson looking for a big play?

Probably but I cannot say for sure. But, as you say, it's a longer gain than it needed to be. If it was a call to penetrate and not gap-and-a-half, the CHargers had
a quick hitter up the middle--the perfect play to go against a penetrating call. If it were off tackle to either side, it is a tackle for a loss.

So---I wish I knew more. But it shows looking close can show things we don't catch live. I didn't catch all that until second time through
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Big boy Attachments

JimYoungblood53412August 13, 2023 05:31PM

Can He Be A Two-Way Player For Us?

ramBRO101August 13, 2023 06:05PM

against Rams 1st team defense---4 runs 22 yards, not great but

JimYoungblood5386August 13, 2023 06:20PM

Re: against Rams 1st team defense---4 runs 22 yards, not great but

ramBRO79August 13, 2023 06:37PM

Agree, Attachments

JimYoungblood5369August 13, 2023 06:46PM

Re: Agree,

ramBRO53August 13, 2023 07:53PM

I think you see it right Attachments

JimYoungblood5353August 13, 2023 08:24PM

When they ran on passing situations (2nd and 15 here) Attachments

JimYoungblood5347August 13, 2023 06:58PM

Re: When they ran on passing situations (2nd and 15 here)

ramBRO50August 13, 2023 08:07PM

Numbers game, gap blocking with puller Attachments

JimYoungblood5339August 13, 2023 08:33PM

This was one that bothered me Attachments

JimYoungblood5350August 13, 2023 07:12PM

This one, versus 4-2-5 Attachments

JimYoungblood5352August 13, 2023 07:17PM

And those are a few examples of the starters

JimYoungblood5338August 13, 2023 07:21PM

Re: Big boy

BerendsenRam52August 13, 2023 06:05PM