Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Sean McVay breaks down what he's looking for in a starting left tackle

August 07, 2023 01:43PM
In other words, in terms of consistency, physicality, technique, and cerebral capacity McVay wants another generational left tackle - just like he had with Big Whit.confused smiley

So do I.

Fat chance, coach, and good luck with that. I hope you succeed, but I don't think either of the two guys we have now are it - but either could be a serviceable tackle. Of the two, I'd go with brawn and availability if it were my choice. I might even simplify the assignments to keep the player consistent, put him and the team in the best position to succed and win.

Orlando Pace could take care of his man on every play. When to push him off and pick up a delayed blitz from a linebacker? Orlando took care of his man. He looked a whole lot better when he had Adam Timmerman beside him than he did without him; Timmerman brought the smarts and plenty-enough brawn and technique to do what was neccessary from his guard position.Both were great players and managed to complement each other well under Jim Hanifan, an old-school OL coach who demanded both technique and physicality from his players, much as I sense coach Wendell is doing this year. Different styles, different eras - but both are teachers.

I remember the year Pace ditched camp over contract disputes, came in lazy and out-of-shape, and seemed to have been training on milkshakes instead of hi-pros but still - until his ankles (always troublesome) gave out, managed to turn in high level performances. When I read about Noteboom's ankles I think of Pace.

I'll be watching how this LT situation unfolds during pre-season. I'll be down to higjhlights and word from the RamBros on the board, so keep me informed, won't you?

Thanks.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Sean McVay breaks down what he's looking for in a starting left tackle

BerendsenRam286August 07, 2023 11:13AM

Good Article! Loved this part...

Ramsdude111August 07, 2023 01:05PM

Re: Good Article! Loved this part...

BerendsenRam62August 07, 2023 01:41PM

Ramstien83August 07, 2023 02:13PM

BerendsenRam35August 07, 2023 02:41PM