Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can some of the dust being kicked up around Evans finally settle?

June 26, 2023 12:21PM
This gets old. Evans has the blessings of his college coaches as a hard worker, model student athlete.

Back in highschool there was some immaturity capped by this one-time cell phone incident where his refusal to surrender his phone cost him an appearance in a championship game. Since then he has, to all appearances, straightened up. Yet, the writer persists:

"Evans’ struggles are off the field, and these concerns are significant enough that he fell to the Rams in the sixth round. He’ll benefit from Michel’s presence, though if the rookie keeps his head on straight he might run the veteran out of town."

Here's some of what I found on Evans (emphasis mine):

• Dec. 19: He signs a National Letter of Intent with a college program but delayed announcing his commitment to Jan. 2 during the Under Armour All-American Game. The letter was signed and sent to his college.
• Dec. 21: News breaks that Evans was sent home from the state title game for violating the team’s cell phone policy and getting into arguments over this issue with coaches. The incident occurred just hours before the state title rematch with Duncanville. This was the second time this season Evans was suspended after missing two games for a violation of team rules.
• Jan. 2: The morning of the All-American Game, Evans declares he will not announce his commitment decision. Rather, he took the opportunity with Deion Sanders by his side to publicly apologize to his future coach.
• Jan. 7: Evans was released from his Letter of Intent and SEC financial aid agreement to Georgia. A full release was granted to Evans...
• Zach Evans at TCU
• Evans remained out of the headlines for the next year. Then, at TCU, he finally took to the field on September 7th against Texas Tech. Evans ran 10 times for 36 yards. He would play in 4 more games, totaling 415 yards and 4 touchdowns. He had an impressive 7.7 yards per carry. As last season came to an end, it was clear that Evans should be in for a big year this coming 2021 season at TCU. What we did not know was that Evans was already dominating in the classroom.
It was reported last week that Evans has a 3.75 GPA. He has been praised for his academic excellence and his positive impact at TCU and the local community there. TCU Head Coach, Garry Patterson, told Bruce Feldman that, “It’s crazy with his talent and skill level, and it helps when you have a guy like that who is also one of your hardest workers, too.”
• Zach Evans was one of the most dominate running backs in recent Texas high school football history. After a rough few months in late 2019, Evans has become an outstanding college STUDENT athlete. He may have been on the receiving end of some bad publicity, from us included, and some cell phone jokes, but he is now a role model for all the current Texas high school and youth football players.
• On behalf of everyone at TexasHSFootball.com, we want to say that we are proud of Zach Evans and we look forward to cheering him on this coming season at TCU!

I hardly think the Rams are getting a head case in Zach Evans - even though this writer, who apparently doesn't believe in doing his research, persists in beating a dead horse based upon the high school behavior of a kid raised in a single parent household. Way to go, scribe.

Looks to me like Zach Evans took hold - got his priorities straight and has shown the perseverance to see them through. He's smart, a hard worker, kept his mouth shut after the high school cell phone incident, became a role model, and could more accurately be labeled an overcomer and a high achiever.

I look for good things from him as a Ram.

I'd also like to see a good writer do a personal interest story on him before season starts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2023 01:08PM by mtramfan.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Sony Michel isn’t guaranteed a spot on Rams roster

BerendsenRam178June 26, 2023 07:09AM

Delete post as it happened the same time but a hair late lol!

BerendsenRam75June 26, 2023 07:12AM

Is Tiyon Evans no longer on the team?

promomasterj73June 26, 2023 07:18AM

Re: Is Tiyon Evans no longer on the team?

Rams4392June 26, 2023 07:21AM

Thanks for the info

promomasterj67June 26, 2023 07:41AM

Re: Thanks for the info

Rams4365June 26, 2023 07:44AM

Can some of the dust being kicked up around Evans finally settle?

mtramfan61June 26, 2023 12:21PM