Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cam Akers will be 'a central figure' in Rams offense, Sean McVay says

June 15, 2023 10:52AM
[theramswire.usatoday.com] Cam Akers will be 'a central figure' in Rams offense, Sean McVay says

Cameron DaSilva
June 15, 2023 12:25 pm PT
Cam Akers’ stock seemed to bottom last season when he and the Rams had a disagreement that led to him taking time away from the team. By season’s end, he looked like the talented and elusive running back from his rookie year and his arrow is pointing up even further heading into the 2023 campaign.

Sean McVay has spoke highly of him all offseason, doing so again this week during an interview on “SiriusXM Mad Dog Sports Radio.” McVay raved about the job Akers has done this spring and expects him to be a huge part of the offense this season.

“He’s really capitalized on a lot of the momentum he built up toward the latter part of the year. And he’s going to be a huge part of what we’re doing moving forward,” McVay said of Akers. “He’s had a great offseason. I love the rapport that he’s established with Ron Gould, our new running backs coach. Cam is going to be a central figure in this offense. I think he’s priming himself to have a great year. and also, I’ve loved what Kyren Williams has done in that running backs room. But Cam is a stud. He’s taking great care of himself physically, he’s in a good place mentally. Just continuing to mature and I’m really excited about what he’s going to do for us this year.”

Akers finished off last season with 512 yards on 104 carries in his final six games, scoring six touchdowns in that span. He was truly the catalyst to the offense late in the year after so many other starters got hurt, helping carry the load at running back when the Rams needed him most.

It’s difficult to gauge a running back’s impact and effectiveness in minicamp practices when defenders aren’t hitting, but McVay seems pleased with everything Akers has done thus far.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Cam Akers will be 'a central figure' in Rams offense, Sean McVay says

BerendsenRam146June 15, 2023 10:52AM

Just as he should be!

Ramsdude49June 15, 2023 12:43PM

Re: Just as he should be!

BerendsenRam40June 15, 2023 12:57PM