Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Nice post merlin, you explained that very well!

June 10, 2023 01:31PM
merlin
Cover 2 was always dependent on quality up front, by virtue of the numbers. You're going to give up a lot of 7 man looks in your front when you dedicate yourself to two safeties back putting a cap on the deep routes. So while a dominant front favors all schemes it really has a big impact on Cover 2, or any scheme that by its natural state leaves a light box.

Fangio's approach is a bit better I think. But then as a defensive player I was never a fan of sitting back even though it does work when teams are tooled for it. But Fangio and Staley by extension do a nice job of using those safeties to play deep or shut down crossers or move up into the box depending on how it's called. It can be utilized to favor whatever you have on the back end or also supplement your box provided your safeties are capable of playing those different calls. Staley was quite shrewd at using that safety downhill into the box in the correct looks which eliminated a lot of the weaknesses you naturally have with two safeties back, because he called it so well.

But in the NFL everything you do has either been done before even if it was just as a certain look in a different scheme. Cover 2 being a great example of how the Steelers used to cap offenses once they had the lead, and it probably goes back even further if you were to look hard enough.

Cover 3 had a real nice run. Still gets called a lot too, but I think two safety looks are the immediate future because the pass game is how you lose in this league. If you make life tough on opposing QBs you're gonna have a real nice chance to win games.

Your last sentence sums it up pretty well and also works in reverse. If you can't get pressure on the QB, it really doesn't matter what the scheme is. You might be in for a long day in this modern day pass happy league.

In relation to our Rams, I just don't see us being able to "pressure the QB" consistently this year which could make for some very ugly games unless our offense can outscore the other team consistently too.

#HelmetHornsMatter

“Well, the color is good, I like the metallic blue,” Youngblood recently said while laughing, via NFL Journal. “The horn is terrible. It looks like a ‘C.’ When I first saw it on the logo I honestly thought it was a Charger logo.

“Now when I see it on the helmet, it just isn’t a ram horn. There is no distinct curl like a mature ram horn. I don’t know how the Rams could get that wrong. That is your symbol and it has been for what? Seventy years or more? Longer than I have been alive? It’s just not us, it’s not the Rams.”---Mr. Ram Jack Youngblood

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Vid: Vic Fangio : Top 5 Reasons That Makes His Defense So Special

Ramsdude239June 09, 2023 12:00PM

So maybe we should call Fangio Charmin Soft

promomasterj85June 09, 2023 01:51PM

I think it's kinda like mcvay's offense

Ram_Ruler90June 09, 2023 02:30PM

It's just the strategical churn you get with scheme

merlin87June 10, 2023 01:00PM

Nice post merlin, you explained that very well!

Ramsdude60June 10, 2023 01:31PM

It's #1 coverage in NFL and by Rams

JimYoungblood5348June 12, 2023 08:34PM