Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: These off-season 'articles' are painful

June 01, 2023 12:25PM
I tend to separate the copy in these articles into three categories: "Breaking news" or fresh information or updates is one, "For those who tuned in late" as in Noteboom was injured last year is another, and the third is speculation or projection.

The first two categories ared fine with me. Old news may not be old to some readers.

The third category, conjecture or speculation had better be based in something substantive to pass my litmus test.

I'd rather read "Runner A is returning to practice and taking most of the 1st team snaps, but also sharing time with runner B who was injured and missed much of last season. Runner C is taking second-team snaps and may figure into the mix when fully acclimated to NFL practice regimens. It's early yet - but the promised competetion at all positions is already underway and when fully implemented could be exciting."

If I'm the writer of such a piece I could then go on to state my perception of each runner's strengths, what they bring to the team - either as a featured back, platooned backs, or situational players - and what I've heard from coaches.

My own prejudice is that I'd like to see Akers get over himself, and when the chips are down prove himself as a committed and dependable player who has grown to the point that he can be trusted to bear down when it really matters. That will take more than a six-game streak when nothing counted, and a glittery show in camp, looking good and saying all the right things. I'd like to see an already-motivated and, if proven capable in camp and preseason, Z. Evans take over for him if Evans is the better player and the abilities I saw in highlights translate to the NFL level.

If I'm writing under a header and with the out-front understanding with my editor and readers that this is "Chuck's Take on the Rams Running Back Situation" I can do the latter. But I have to be careful, at the same time, that I'm not stirring up controversy and poisoning the well.

In either case I owe it to my readers to give them something more than an admix of second-hand facts, lazy research from stat sheets, empty conjecture and what I think off the top of my head, or what I "feel."
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Kyren Williams getting extended look, sharing reps with Cam Akers in OTAs

BerendsenRam198June 01, 2023 08:55AM

Re: Kyren Williams getting extended look, sharing reps with Cam Akers in OTAs

mtramfan81June 01, 2023 09:11AM

These off-season 'articles' are painful

promomasterj88June 01, 2023 09:53AM

Re: These off-season 'articles' are painful

mtramfan79June 01, 2023 12:25PM