Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stafford Reveals View of NFL New QB Rule

May 28, 2023 08:37AM
[www.msn.com] Stafford Reveals View of NFL New QB Rule
Story by Jacob Hare • 2h ago

© Provided by Ram Digest on FanNation
The NFL has introduced a significant rule change this offseason, allowing teams to have a third quarterback available on game days without occupying a roster spot. However, the "emergency quarterback" still needs to be part of the 53-man roster, requiring the Los Angeles Rams to retain three quarterbacks in their regular-season roster to take advantage of this provision.

"I'm glad to have it back,'' said Rams QB Matthew Stafford of the readjustment.

"I think it's good for the league."

This rule adjustment stems from the aftermath of last year's NFC title game, during which the San Francisco 49ers experienced a scarcity of available quarterbacks due to injuries. Under the new rule, teams are now permitted to have 47 players (or 48 if they fulfill the requirement of at least eight offensive linemen) along with an active third quarterback on game days, effectively addressing the necessity for a backup quarterback in crucial situations.

During an interview with J.B. Long and D'Marco Farr on Thursday, Rams quarterback Stafford was informed about the rule change, and his initial reaction was favorable. He recalled the previous existence of this rule in the NFL and expressed support for its reintroduction.

Stafford even perceives a safety advantage in that quarterbacks may be more forthcoming about their injuries if they are aware of the presence of a third quarterback.

"I remember them going away from it, thinking it was maybe going to help develop quarterbacks in some aspect and also get an extra special teams-type player, somebody that can really help in the core special teams stuff on the field," Stafford said. "I'm glad to have it back. I think from a safety standpoint, guys will be more willing to be honest with whatever's going on with them. If they need to be out of a game, if they know they have a third guy waiting there to go in. glad to see it. I think it's good for the league."

In the 2022 season, the Rams opted to carry three quarterbacks on their active roster, including Bryce Perkins as the third option. Although Perkins was predominantly inactive since Matthew Stafford and John Wolford were available, the newly implemented rule would have allowed him to serve as the emergency quarterback without occupying a spot on the 48-man game-day roster.

With the potential retention of three quarterbacks on the Rams' roster this year, like Stafford, Stetson Bennett and Brett Rypien can all be ready on game day. Although the emergency quarterback can only take the field if both QBs Nos. 1 and 2 cannot play, this provision provides teams with a crucial safety net.

When asked about the potential utilization of the new rule in LA's games, Stafford expressed his hope that the Rams would never have to rely on it.

"No,'' he said, understandably. "I mean, absolutely not."
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Stafford Reveals View of NFL New QB Rule

BerendsenRam139May 28, 2023 08:37AM