May 26, 2023 09:17AM
azramfan
We only have one DL over 300lbs, and that's Brown. Jourdan states Kobie Turner is much larger than she thought. Still not big enough for NT. I still think another domino is gonna drop once June 1st comes and it may be Higbee. That would gives a couple bucks to sign a backup NT and maybe a veteran CB.

I only watch small-school guys after they become Rams and whatever is on Youtube..so not always going to get a 100% picutre, aylo and Dead know more--

But Kobie, looks like someone to groom to take Donald's spot someday. He looks more like someone to play 3-tech/4i . . . that is where he seems to project. But he played some 1-tech(nose) to and some DE. We will just have to see what they have in mind but if had to guess--Kobe won't be nose.

Taron Vincent looks to be a three-tech and would be challenging for Murchison's spot. His vids show him playing some on the nose, though...but is on a guard more often than not, but he could play on the nose. He was, to my eye, playing right DT, so he had to play both 3-tech and nose, depending on what the offense did. In his highlights offense caused the defense to shift resulting in Vincent on a guard.

Sometimes NFL coaches see a role for someone we cannot see.

Desjuan Johnson played both, just going off the Toledo game--the highlights. He was a left tackle and played both nose and 3-tech. he was the opposite of Vincent.

So, going by college take both can do both, but if I were to guess, I'd say Johnson is more of a nose and Vincent more of a 3-tech.

Brown is starting NT. I'd guess Johnson would be a nose backup but seems Vincent could play there too.
Donald at DT (3t/4i) with Kobie and Larrell Murchison and Vincent stacked behind him
Copeland is the DE, taking A'Shawn's position, with Brown IV and Carter behind him. Kobie could play here, probably as a backup.

Keep this in mind, Copeland has played about 10% of his snaps as a NT. So, there could be a different kind of rotation.

This is speculation since Copeland has never been a starter but Brown could be the NT and Copeland the DE (4i/5T)
and when Brown needs a rest in base defense Copeland could play NT and Williams, Brown IV or Kobie or even Johnson could play DE(4i/5)
depending on who makes the team 4-5 of these guys will be cut or on PS

The depth could be
DE-Copeland-Williams-Brown IV-Carter
NT-Brown III-Copeland-Johnson
DT-Donald-Kobie-Murchison-Vincent

Final note - Rams play gap-and-a-half on running plays, not 2-gap. So, does not require a monster on the nose. 300-310 pounds can be enough.

What looks, to me, to be the best is Rams could have a defensive tackle to pair with Donald on rushing downs that we have not had since Morgan Fox.
Gaines was a hustler but was not a pass rusher...and whoever plays in base, in nickel Donald and Kobie could be paired . . .or Donald and Murch --

Johnson looks like he can rush...

So, to answer....I see Johnson as backup NT
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Rosenthal predicts starters for all 32 teams.

CROMWELL21203May 25, 2023 04:46PM

All reasonable but he blew it on the defensive line Attachments

JimYoungblood53104May 25, 2023 05:01PM

Who's our backup NT Jim?

azramfan71May 26, 2023 05:55AM

Re: Who's our backup NT Jim?

303062May 26, 2023 06:36AM

I think Ourlads has the best, as of now, depth chart for DL

JimYoungblood5347May 26, 2023 08:51AM

Re: Who's our backup NT Jim?

JimYoungblood5347May 26, 2023 09:17AM

As with Gary Green

Ram4life46May 26, 2023 10:44AM

Skowronek vs. McCutcheon

LMU9395May 26, 2023 04:44AM

Re: Skowronek vs. McCutcheon

droopy69May 26, 2023 07:25AM

Here's what I LOVE about Skowronek. This catch right here.

Ramadune81May 26, 2023 09:08AM

Great vid Ramadune!

Ramsdude48May 26, 2023 09:16AM

He's just so slow

Ram4life48May 26, 2023 10:47AM