Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Article: Ongoing Sunday Ticket antitrust litigation could reveal plenty of NFL secrets

May 06, 2023 01:58PM
Ongoing Sunday Ticket antitrust litigation could reveal plenty of NFL secrets
link

The NFL strongly prefers to resolve all claims against it secretly, so that the league can keep its secrets. Regarding the Sunday Ticket package, some fairly intriguing secrets could eventually be revealed.

During draft week (that’s my excuse for not getting to this sooner), Daniel Kaplan of TheAthletic.com posted an item regarding some of the information that has come to light during the ongoing Sunday Ticket antitrust litigation. Because the case is proceeding in open court and not through the league’s internal arbitration processes, things the league would rather be quiet are getting out.

First, a ruling from the presiding judge regarding a squabble about documents produced by the NFL disclosed the full list of options for Sunday Ticket, post-DirecTV. Beyond YouTube, the candidates were Apple, Amazon, Roku, and ESPN. The league also considered making the package directly available to consumers.

Second, further disclosures could show that the talks with Apple failed because Apple wanted to make the package significantly cheaper for consumers. The plaintiffs in the Sunday Ticket antitrust litigation essentially are arguing that the league has withheld documents that would show Apple wasn’t selected due to its plan to offer the package for less than consumers have been paying.

It has been suggested that Sunday Ticket can’t be offered at a significantly lower price, due to the NFL’s contracts with CBS and Fox. Beyond the price of the full package, Apple might have wanted to allow consumers to buy Sunday Ticket for all games of only one team, or one week or game at a time.

As it stands, Sunday Ticket continues to be an all-or-nothing proposition. One large, flat fee for everything. If you only want Packers games, you have to take the rest. If you only want certain weeks, you have to take them all.

Regardless of the outcome of the pending case, a potential P.R. disaster is looming for the league, if/when fans realize the lengths to which the “football is family” crowd has gone to make it unreasonably more expensive for families across the country to watch only the out-of-market games they want to see.

If, for example, the NFL could have gotten the same money from Apple for Sunday Ticket and consumers could have gotten the games for less, that’s about as bad of a look as the NFL could have to some of its most rabid and loyal customers.

#HelmetHornsMatter

“Well, the color is good, I like the metallic blue,” Youngblood recently said while laughing, via NFL Journal. “The horn is terrible. It looks like a ‘C.’ When I first saw it on the logo I honestly thought it was a Charger logo.

“Now when I see it on the helmet, it just isn’t a ram horn. There is no distinct curl like a mature ram horn. I don’t know how the Rams could get that wrong. That is your symbol and it has been for what? Seventy years or more? Longer than I have been alive? It’s just not us, it’s not the Rams.”---Mr. Ram Jack Youngblood

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Article: Ongoing Sunday Ticket antitrust litigation could reveal plenty of NFL secrets

Ramsdude292May 06, 2023 01:58PM

Re: Article: Ongoing Sunday Ticket antitrust litigation could reveal plenty of NFL secrets

stlrams13119May 06, 2023 04:47PM

Uh. Well, duh. Yeah people.

NewMexicoRam124May 06, 2023 05:15PM

Re: Uh. Well, duh. Yeah people.

BerendsenRam99May 06, 2023 05:35PM

Re: Article: Ongoing Sunday Ticket antitrust litigation could reveal plenty of NFL secrets

Ramstien111May 07, 2023 03:03AM

At least it is available to everyone now

David Deacon78May 07, 2023 03:13AM