Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Blinkscout 2023 Draft and UDFA takes ...

April 30, 2023 03:56PM
It's rare that we have so many ... so this will likely be newish kind of feature that may not happen again.

When I cover the players, I'm going to do it by my rankings, so the rounds are irrelevant and whether they were drafted or UDFA will be also.
I'm going to try to make it interesting, as well.

I have one beef. And this is likely not a surprise, so I'll just get it out of the way. It is so rare that you have a CB heavy draft, coming out with ZERO boundary CBs is a sin. There was starter caliber talent into the 7th round. Everything else I can deal with. So ... my guess is that they're working some kind of trade for a star level player on his rookie contract during the regular season.

Steve Avila, G, TCU (#38, early second) I watched TCU probably more than any other team last year ... really by chance. I get a lot of Big 12 here for some reason. He's a day 1 starter and likely a 10 year pro. He could be a pro bowler based on what I've seen. I rarely rate OGs higher than this because they rarely deserve to be in Quentin Nelson company ... I had Creed Humphrey in this area, as well as Kenyon Green. I did not expect him for us, because we are usually a "light on their feet" scheme team. He is an anchor and a bulldozer. Does he move well enough? Yes. Most importantly, I think this is about interior pass pressure and helping Allen/Shelton and Noteboom. Having a weak link between two other weaker links was a recipe for disaster. this ends that. Great pick, albeit unexpected. Oh and note ... I don't like him at center. He's a guard.

Byron Young, EDGE, Tennessee (#75, late 2nd) Juco transfer, hard worker, and athletic freak. Also, from what I've heard so far, no injuries. He is good and still has lots of room to grow. He held his own at 245 as a DE in the SEC, which is no easy feat. Just really happy to have him. I'm sure we'll start on a rotation with Keir Thomas but he should lock this spot down pretty quickly. the floor is high, the ceiling is high. Great pick.

Tre’Vius Hodges-Tomlinson, CB, TCU (early-mid 3rd) Most have called this a steal, so that's not news. I had him as a 3rd rounder. Pretty sure dead had him a little higher. We drafted Lamarcus Joyner in the early second. This kid is very similar. Again, I watched a lot of TCU. He roamed the middle of the field. He will blow you up. He's not afraid of anyone. Also, he was the Thorpe award winner. I was surprised at that, but given the breadth of his work it was due. My "guess" would be that Durant and Rochelle play outside and they give him the middle of the field on passing downs.

Quindell Johnson, S, Memphis (Late 3rd early 4th) One of my top combine snubs (with Karl Brooks and a few others). 4.55 40 guy but with a 4.24 ss ... so he can move around. Guy was all conference and team captain, set up the defense. Memphis had a rough year, so he got passed over. He hits, plays sound mental football, and leads. 225 solo tackles in his career ranking 6th for his team. Had 4 INTs and 2 FFs last year. If Lake or Yeast don't seriously shine, he will take a job by 2024.

Puka Nacua, WR, BYU (Late 3rd early 4th) So ... this freaking guy. Thing I want to say about him first, is that during the guantlet drill, the announcers are on everyone to "run full speed" ... this year 2 guys did. Iosevas and Nacua. Nacua looked like he was racing first and catching footballs second. Then the announcers went into where he was training ... with TJ Housmandzadeh. they then went on for a few minutes about how his training and vetting was the most respected place for WRs to train and that NFL guys trusted TJ if they vouched for a kid. So, that's the good.
He is the youngest of 4 sports brothers. Samson is the only one who sniffed the next level. My grade on him would be higher if I thought he could stay healthy. He's tough as nails so he's always getting dinged and then returning too early and coming in and out of games. If he's healthy? He's a solid 2 or 3 than can go off if you're not careful defending him. Jefferson will get a real chance this year to be a solid #2 option. If not then we'll likely draft someone high next year and Puca will be the 3rd going forward.

Davis Allen, TE, Clemson (Late 4th) To start draft season, DJ's first top 50 had Davis in it. He passes my TE tests, super angry, red zone leaping, and furious blocking. He can work the seam. If he'd had steady QB play in a year without this TE class he could have easily gone in the third. He doesn't have great long speed, which is weird, but honestly ... I think he just runs funny. He's got a 38.5 vert and 10-6 broad, so the explosion is there. 1.59 split. Make sure you look at the vert. Legit 6-6 ... 32.5 inch arms, 10 inch hands ... and that leaping ability (that he definitely uses). I like him blocking most downs, and I like him catching TDs in the red zone. He and Hunter Long will be a good tandem next year. This year I figure we'll see more Long.

Tanner Ingle, S, NC State (Would have been late 4th, I had him going back to school) This one will be a bit of a surprise because I thought he went back to school. Another mighty mouse, and no testing #s. 5-10 179. For his size, he hit harder than anyone else in college last year. He was first team ACC in 21' and 2nd team in 22' ... He won't be a threat to be stolen so I doubt he makes the 53. Great ST and emergency guy who will compete every single play. Oh a note, likely why he wasn't drafted? Comically short arms. Like 29 inches. I didn't know that and might have listed him lower had I known that.

Tiyon Evans, RB, Louisville (early 5th) This kid for me was a surprise entry ... I thought he could be a second or third rounder if he stayed. Dimensions matter ... a 4.52 is good. a 4.52 at 5-9 225 is special. 20 reps. He is NOT agile and might not even have the best vision. But he will run through people and break tackles. He is not MJD, but he has similar dimensions and will make for a nice change of pace with powerful legs.

Warren McClendon, OT, Georgia (Early 5th) Figured him for an OG ... the Georgia line is mean. They have an attitude and they play nasty. I don't have much on him because projecting to OG is a bit iffy for me. I "assume" he can do it. If so he could likely be our next Tremayne Anchrum ... with a little more size.

Jason Taylor II, S, Oklahoma State (Mid 5th) There are 3 defenses in the big 12 that simply get it done. OKst is one of those (Baylor, Iowa st). So anyone from there you can trust to play sound football. Taylor has a tackling issue that, in my opinion, is from over aggression and excitement. He's a good backup.

Nick Hampton, EDGE, Appalachian State (Mid 5th) Guy like Herbig. He should be too small to do what he does. He just wins and impacts plays over and over, and there's a huge difference when he's not on the field. Obviously a special teamer to start and maybe situational extra rusher... but the difference between he and guys like Hardy is the level of competition. He had a monster game against UNC and they put out pro linemen every year.

Zach Evans, RB, Ole Miss (late 5th) Dinged for injuries. Getting him AND Tiyon Evans is really good. If Akers goes down I still trust the stable overall. Evans was the top recruit coming out of high school (higher than Bijan) ... my issue is simple. Yes, he's had injuries. But he's also never been the best RB on his team. Kendre Miller took his job, and this year (even though he ran well) Judkins the freshman phenom was the main back. I'm curious to see how heavy the chip on his shoulder is.

Desjuan Johnson, EDGE, Toledo (mid 6th) This to me, is like a Ernest Brown IV pick. He's not fast, he's gonna play on the D line. That said, I like him better than Brown IV. He has upside to some rushing and is very strong. Maybe makes the team? I doubt he'll be sought after if he's cut. He's our type of player ...

Kobie Turner, DT, Wake Forest (Late 6th ) (Rich trans 3 time all D2) 31 reps 7.09 3 cone interestingly enough, I watched a Wake game very late (like late February or early March) and he caught my eye and I was curious why he wasn't at the combine. The reps and 3 cone are insane. So he can likely do exactly what we want our DE to do. Was 3rd round too high? Objectively yes, but that doesn't mean someone else wouldn't have taken him objectively too high. I will forever lament the loss of the CBs that were there, period.

Xavier Smith, WR, Florida A&M (bottom of draft as a returner) This is your returner. He'll make the team. Saw him at the HBCU game and they just raved and raved about him. Watched him and agreed, super twitchy, fearless, agile and fast. 4.48 with a 1.52 split and 4.16 ss and 37 vert.

Here we get to people I didn't really have as draftable.

Jaiden Woodbey, S, Boston College 6-0 222 Sr. 4.14 ss 35 v 6.97 3 cone 21 reps He's a LB in our system. Travin Howard replacement.

Chris Dunn, K, NC State The game I watched late was Wake NCst lol. So I heard his name and watched him kick. He was smooth.

Jordan Jones, CB, Rhode Island Looked him up late in the process after we met with him. 5-10 186 4.50 40 but big explosion numbers. Big Vert Big Broad. Good 3 cone. I haven't looked up tape.

Stetson Bennett, QB, Georgia I didn't have him as draftable, even though I really like his toughness and leadership. This is where a guy gets dinged because he simply had superior weapons. Bowers may grade out as the best TE I've ever graded next year. the WRs were tough as nails and talented, and the Oline was 5 NFL players. So ... I've got to see him face more legit adversity than one game ...

Rashad Torrence II, S, Florida I was harsh on Torrence for his horrific 40 time and so was the NFL. He plays well, just might not be well enough to overcome his foot speed. I think I'm honestly harder on Gators because I grew up in Florida.

Ochaun Mathis, EDGE, Nebraska So ... he flashed, then disappeared, then showed up kinda after transferring ... I was really dissatisfied with his career impact.

DeAndre Square, LB, Kentucky ... unspectacular businesslike LB. Knowing how low these guys get pushed down if you're under 230 you have to run low 4.6s or better or there are 15 guys automatically ahead of you.

Mike McCallister, C, Youngstown State 6-2 305 5.10 40 with about a 30 vert and 7.6 3 cone, that's pretty good. Apparently there's a star RB on the team and the O line was solid in front of him.

Ryan Smenda, LB, Wake 4.74 40. 6.88 3 cone 4.38 ss poor burst #s. So not an explosive guy but a fluid mover ... again, unspectacular businesslike LB.

Tyon Davis, CB, Tulsa Slot only ... no deep speed but a 7.03 cone and 4.2 ss ... seems likely to be fodder.

Sean Maginn, G, Wake Forest 6-3 298 7.5 3 cone ... 27 reps ... we went at Wake guys this year. they ahd a good running attack without a big name runner.

Christian Sims, TE/FB, Bowling Green Listed as a FB where I scout ... 6-2 243 4.76 40 ... but is an explosive athlete. 10-5 broad, 36 vert 7.25 3 cone ... I have seen bits of him, but no idea where he shakes out as a special teams player.

Timarcus Davis, DB, Arizona State Numbers guy ... 5-11 180 41 vert 11-2 broad 4.5 40 6.65 3 cone 4.12 ss. I didn't have him listed. Number suggest special teams.

Kelechi Anyalebechi, LB, Incarnate Word 5-11 230 4.69 40 ... 38 vert 7.01 3 cone that's really good. I have no tape.

Collin Duncan, SS, Mississippi State 6-0 197 41 vert 10--10 broad. Special teams. 4.7 40.

Alex Ward, LB, UCF, long snapper
Ethan Evans, P, Wingate
Tanner Brown, K, Oklahoma State University

I don't really cover these guys.

Okay that'll do it ... I'm guessing we add more bodies at some point since we're still 12 shy but I can do those case by case. we've added a few more recently, but they're covered well enough in that post ... I haven't seen them.

Questions and comments welcome.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2023 04:22PM by alyoshamucci.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Blinkscout 2023 Draft and UDFA takes ...

alyoshamucci839April 30, 2023 03:56PM

bout time!!!!

Rampage2K-148April 30, 2023 04:04PM

BTW...

Rampage2K-154April 30, 2023 04:39PM

Re: BTW...

alyoshamucci228April 30, 2023 04:57PM

Re: Blinkscout 2023 Draft and UDFA takes ...

JYB141April 30, 2023 04:05PM

Awesome! Thanks my friend

Ram4life128April 30, 2023 04:05PM

I was yesterday years old when I found out there was an Incarnate Word college

JimYoungblood53123April 30, 2023 04:11PM

Re: I was yesterday years old when I found out there was an Incarnate Word college

alyoshamucci138April 30, 2023 04:23PM

I read they began football in 2009

JimYoungblood5378April 30, 2023 04:30PM

Fun facts about Incarnate Word

Deadpool74May 01, 2023 06:27AM

Re: Fun facts about Incarnate Word

alyoshamucci61May 01, 2023 07:09AM

This weekend I learned it was in Texas

JimYoungblood5354May 01, 2023 07:30AM

Re: Blinkscout 2023 Draft and UDFA takes ...

CROMWELL21184April 30, 2023 04:25PM

Thank you so much

ferragamo79101April 30, 2023 04:28PM

Can’t thank you enough for this, Alyo…

Rams4387April 30, 2023 05:10PM

Re: Can’t thank you enough for this, Alyo…

alyoshamucci111April 30, 2023 05:21PM

Re: Can’t thank you enough for this, Alyo…

Rams4380April 30, 2023 05:35PM

McClendon

NewMexicoRam168April 30, 2023 05:34PM

Re: McClendon

Rampage2K-135April 30, 2023 06:03PM

Great work. Enjoyed the read! Nm.

stlramz67April 30, 2023 09:07PM

Wow was that great. Bennent?

David Deacon95May 01, 2023 03:34AM

Bennett?

alyoshamucci74May 01, 2023 07:11AM

Great job, thanks!(nm)