Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Why Steve Avila’s versatility means so much to Rams OL…

April 30, 2023 10:09AM
Why Steve Avila's versatility matters to the LA Rams OL

[ramblinfan.com]

Bret Stuter

suffered throughout the 2022 NFL season, and the toll that a patchwork offensive line took on the offensive performance last year. But we also know that the LA Rams cannot carry the 12 or more offensive linemen on their 53-man roster to handle that many injuries if they re-occur during the 2023 NFL season.

So if can't beat the pressure with more players, then the next best thing is to add more versatile offensive linemen? Whether or not you agree, that is exactly what the team added to the Rams roster by selecting interior offensive lineman Steve Avila.

Avila is more than one of the top guards in this draft. He is also one of the top centers, a professional football hit man who loves to hit players in the trenches. That is where the LA Rams need so much help, and Steve Avila brings dependable reinforcement.

Plug-n-play capacity at three positions

Many may make the assumption that the Rams selected Steve Avila to fill the vacated role of former Rams offensive guard David Edwards. I'm not so sure. In my mind, the addition of Avila allows the Rams to set up the offensive line as:

Of course, you can mix and match Steve Avila, Coleman Shelton, or Brian Allen at the center position. From there, you can move either Avila or Shelton to either offensive guard position. That swap of players and positions works for nearly every offensive lineman save veteran center Brian Allen.

After one more season of significant injuries to both Joe Noteboom and Brian Allen, I am not certain that it's wise for either to be installed as starters this season. Not only do questions linger over their durability, but the wear and tear of repeated injuries has to take a toll.

Thankfully, Steve Avila's versatility give the Rams plenty of Plan A options in terms of quality offensive line configurations. Now, let's hope that translates into a Top-5 NFL offensive line for the 2023 NFL season.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Why Steve Avila’s versatility means so much to Rams OL…

Rams43292April 30, 2023 10:09AM

Re: Why Steve Avila’s versatility means so much to Rams OL…

Ridgewood Ram111April 30, 2023 10:42AM

Rams_78126April 30, 2023 11:06AM

Re: Oh and btw I wouldn't count out W McClendon moving inside as well nm

Rams_7888April 30, 2023 11:16AM

LG I hope

LMU93106April 30, 2023 12:02PM

Re: Good point on line calls....nm

Rams_7857April 30, 2023 12:22PM

Good post

Ram4life77April 30, 2023 12:28PM

Re: LG I hope

Rams4363April 30, 2023 05:42PM

Ridgewood Ram56April 30, 2023 06:46PM

A big step in improving IOL Attachments

JimYoungblood5382April 30, 2023 05:50PM