Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Article: Sean McVay on Cam Akers: 'Looking forward to watching him shine' in 2023

April 26, 2023 10:59AM
[theramswire.usatoday.com] Sean McVay on Cam Akers: 'Looking forward to watching him shine' in 2023

Cameron DaSilva
April 26, 2023 12:42 pm PT
In the middle of last season, it looked like the Los Angeles Rams would be searching for a new starting running back in 2023. Darrell Henderson Jr. was set to be a free agent in the offseason and Cam Akers was away from the team after a dispute with the organization. For a while, it looked like the Rams might either cut or trade Akers.

Ultimately, he returned to the team and wound up finishing the year strong, rushing for 512 yards in the final six games alone after tallying just 274 yards on the ground in the first 12 weeks of the season.

That end-of-season performance has Matthew Stafford excited, and Sean McVay also thinks it’s a strong base for Akers to build on in 2023 as he looks to cement his place as RB1.

“I think it’s big. I think for him, anytime that you’re able to have a level of success, and I think being able to go through what he did shows a lot about the human being,” McVay said this week. “He was able to have over 500 (yards) in the last (six) games and really be able to be a bright spot for us, and let’s continue to build on that. Excited about (RBs coach) Ron Gould and what he’ll be able to do with that room, but I know Cam’s had a great look in his eye. Expect him to continue to build on the way that he finished. Confidence is a powerful thing that can compound in the right ways, and he certainly has taken the steps to be able to do that and that’s a big deal. I’m really looking forward to watching him shine from start to finish this year.”

The Rams haven’t had a consistent and dynamic running game since Todd Gurley was in the backfield, but that’s a staple of McVay’s offense – even if it seems like it’s all pass, no run. He likes to have a workhorse back to lean on and the hope is Akers can be that in 2023.

It wouldn’t be a surprise if the Rams still go on to draft a running back at some point on Day 2 or 3, but Akers should head into the summer atop the depth chart, ahead of Kyren Williams and whoever else they add.

Getting the running game going should be a major priority for Los Angeles, especially with the way the defense is looking on paper. Maintaining possession and moving the chains is a good way to keep the ball out of the opponents’ hands.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Article: Sean McVay on Cam Akers: 'Looking forward to watching him shine' in 2023

BerendsenRam103April 26, 2023 10:59AM

me too....

Rampage2K-104April 26, 2023 01:23PM

Re: me too....

Ramstien61April 26, 2023 01:35PM