Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Blinkscout Draft Thoughts ...

April 22, 2023 11:39AM
I've finished with all my grading and I'm waking up earlier so I have extra time to spend honing some draft thoughts ...

I feel like I'm getting to know them better as far as what they prioritize so I have some calls to make and maybe a few questions.

One note I want to make is something they said about interviews ... it's only if they need to "know more" ... some prospects are as shown.

The biggest area for me has been the first 3 picks. How do we maximize them.

The way I've been seeing it play out in my head now for a few weeks is Edge, WR, CB ... with Edge and WR fighting for the first spot based on who drops.

The biggest change I've seen lately is the possible drops of Hyatt and Johnston. If one of those guys is there AND McDonald is there I could see the brass choosing the weapon WR. If they aren't and McDonald is, I think we don't trade down. If none are there we trade down and take whoever we like at Edge (could be any one of about 8 guys in the next tier). The dropoff at WR is noticeable and has about a 30 player gap for me.
It's not CB, because players 5-15 all grade similarly.

For me that's pick 1.

Picks 2 and three end up being WR or edge, whichever we don't get at 36, and a CB.

Could we end up with a trade down here, as well? Sure.
If we trade our first down it's less likely, but still very possible depending on what everyone else is doing.

So ... 4 players at each position.

CB for me is a definite, and likely the first 3rd rounder. My order of preference, not necessarily how it shakes out. I'm also going to note that in a normal year each of these guys would be being considered for a first round pick. My guess is two are there for us just based on the #s.
Rush
Phillips
Brents
Stevenson
I'm going to note that we met with Trice ... but this is too high for him.

If we don't go WR, which I believe is the more likely scenario with our first ...
Rashee Rice
Cedric Tillman
Marvin Mims
Andrei Iosevas (by most accounts this would be a reach, but I firmly disagree)
These players all have had weird years ... and are all very different players. In my opinion only one will be gone by 69 and likely 1 more by 77.

If somehow we end up with Hyatt or Johnston with our first pick ... edge players would be ...
Derrick Hall
Byron Young
Yaya Diaby
Andre Carter (He will need a year before he can go every down)
My bet is the top 2 would need to be taken at the beginning of round 3 while we could take the others at 77 or after a trade down.

That is my "beginning of the draft" Three players at premium positions of high value.
The big miss I will likely have here is RB. So
Charbonnet
Abanikanda
Kendre Miller even
Might be chosen over a WR. Which I'm fine with. As a note I don't believe there is any way Gibbs gets out of round 1. And those guys honestly may all be gone.

The rest of the draft gets interesting. Most of it is gravy. there's good talent and we have a lot of picks.

I think we want to come out with another CB and another edge.
I think we like our starting safeties.
I think our O line is set for starters (in the eyes of the brass)
I think we've been eyeballing MANY players we expect will go undrafted (Tyler Beach Wis, Grant Gibson, NCst)
I don't think we draft kicker or punter.
I think we don't want to draft a QB, but might take Tune.
Good news for the last two is the USFL and XFL have given us some extra tape on guys with pro experience.
I believe we might go after Brodrick Martin at nose ...
I believe if we go WR early rather than RB we take a high value player down here. Should be GREAT value.
LB and Safety down here, also great value.
I think we will only draft a TE if one slides further than expected. We will go after an undrafted TE or 2 (If Gindorff doesn't get drafted I expect him in Horns, Ben Sims is another, Ezeike also) I am a huge fan of TE in this class so this is hard. But I do like next year's class also.

I know that the desire for a better O line is serious. I know. I don't like this year's crop that much. Lots of maybes. I'd rather them take some late and mold them for a year and load up on premium positions. And next year I'm purchasing a permanent left tackle ... period.

Top 2 rounds I'll put out Tuesday. Only 79 players this year.

Of course 1 more thing ...

Other teams make a lot of mistakes. There could be top end value in the 5th.

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Blinkscout Draft Thoughts ...

alyoshamucci650April 22, 2023 11:39AM

Re: Blinkscout Draft Thoughts ...

Ramstien201April 22, 2023 11:49AM

alyoshamucci188April 22, 2023 11:52AM

3030132April 22, 2023 02:05PM

alyoshamucci122April 22, 2023 05:01PM

The BEST WAY to maximize the first 3 picks?

1st Rounder141April 22, 2023 05:10PM

Thinking some combo of Edge / TE / CB

merlin172April 22, 2023 08:27PM

What are your thoughts on Johnston's hands & 10 yard split?

Rams Junkie224April 22, 2023 07:48PM

Re: What are your thoughts on Johnston's hands & 10 yard split?

alyoshamucci182April 23, 2023 06:11AM

Thanks

Rams Junkie117April 23, 2023 10:23AM

Re: Thanks

alyoshamucci169April 23, 2023 11:06AM

Re: A ton to Unpack

leafnose85April 23, 2023 11:38AM

If I may piggyback again

Deadpool114April 24, 2023 06:45PM

Re: QB

merlin79April 24, 2023 07:45PM

You all got me thinking WR