Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Question. Is building a competitive Ram roster in ‘23 even doable, realistically?

April 11, 2023 07:45AM
I wonder.

Let’s make a few assumptions, first:

Snead pulls off a coup and manages to get 2 trade downs giving Rams a total of 5 picks in Top 100-120. This might be a stretch.

Let’s further assume that all 5 are ‘hits’, meaning quality starters. Not Pro Bowlers, but at least solid starters in ‘23. Another stretch.

Let’s assume that of the remaining 8 picks one third are solid contributors. That would be a third stretch, I think.

I’m also now assuming that Rams will fill out P, K, and LS for ST from udfa’s or ranks of unemployed cheap vets, rather than spending valuable picks on 2 of them.

So, after these assumptions, where does that leave us? It leaves us with 8 picks that ‘make it’ and a whole butt load of 3rd tier vets to fill in the cracks, that’s what.

What rookie staters at what positions might we wind up with, realistically?

Let’s see…

OC
OG
Backup TE
Backup RB
Edge (maybe 2)
DL
CB
S

Oops! That’s 9 right there. Maybe only one Edge or skip the OG?

Anything more must come from the scrap heap.

Backup QB
Another Edge
ILB
Another CB (or 2)
Another S (or 2)
More depth for DL
WR (depending on AR’s fate)
P
K
LS

These are not just for the 90 in camp, these are for the 53 during regular season!

See the challenge?

We all know that Rams have thought this through, but it seems obvious that they have left themselves little margin for error. Snead has got to have the draft of his life PLUS an outstanding finishing FA to fill in the cracks. Gulp…

Want a silver lining? I do think McVay has assembled a quality asst coaching corps and that they will do a good job of rapid player development. They’re gonna have to really earn their money, that’s for sure.

And pray that Snead can pull off that hypothetical double trade down on Day 2. Without that, the scrap heap becomes even more important. Goodness.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Question. Is building a competitive Ram roster in ‘23 even doable, realistically?

Rams4391April 11, 2023 07:45AM

Re: Question. Is building a competitive Ram roster in ‘23 even doable, realistically?

farley61April 11, 2023 07:49AM

Re: Question. Is building a competitive Ram roster in ‘23 even doable, realistically?

BerendsenRam47April 11, 2023 08:03AM

general opinion...

LMU9357April 11, 2023 08:09AM

Re: general opinion...

Rams4349April 11, 2023 08:29AM