Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What I THINK 100s of mock drafts is teaching me...

March 15, 2023 05:29PM
I know... who has time to do hundreds of drafts. Trust me, I work a ton of hours and still take care of my own yard, etc. But, it's kind of addicting once you get started.
So, here's what I'm seeing.
I don't think this is really a year for the Rams to build the offense SKILL POSITIONS through the draft unless they make several trades back with the idea of getting several low ceiling - high floor offensive skill position prospects. If they stand pat through the first few rounds, they maybe have to reach a bit at pick 36 to get a guy like Musgrave (TE). 36 is maybe a bit too early for him but he's not going to make it to pick 69, either. The one caveat for me is if Mayer (TE), who didn't put up great numbers at the combine and may now be looked at as the #2 TE, falls to 36. I don't care that he didn't run fast. He's the TE the Rams need and if he's there at 36, I run up there and select him. Which, kind of would blow up the trade back concept below which, I think is more realistic anyway.
At pick 69, a guy like Charbonnet (rb) may be available at a reasonable value. But, there are so many really good running backs that you can get 20-40 picks later.
Same deal at pick 77. Do you reach for the "potential" of a TE like Tucker Kraft? I think that's maybe a 1/2 round too early, unless someone in the organization is just in love with the guy.
Where you can make some offensive impact this year is on the OL with a center and you can even do that with a small trade back from pick 36. Pick 36, a 5th and a 6th round pick probably nets you pick 43, 44 or 45, while adding another 3rd round pick (82-92).
In pretty much every instance, I can add one of the top 3 centers (Schmitz, Wypler or Tippman - I prefer Tippman) with the 69th overall pick.
So, trade back from 36 to early-mid 40s. Grab the very best Edge or Corner there. Honestly there are still some top quality CB there and even a few Edge guys that I would expect to come in and contribute right away. Or, if a guy like Musgrave is still there and you have him rated high, take him there.
At 69, grab your center. Even if only Wypler is left, this is a really solid center who still has the ability to improve and add a bit of weight. Again, would LOVE IT if Tippman was still there.
At 77, you can grab a pretty damn good Safety (Battle or Robinson).
Then, that trade back from pick 36 likely netted the Rams a pick in the 82-92 range. Pick your poison, there should still be some truly dangerous RBs here. Perhaps Tucker Kraft (TE) is still available if they didn't grab Musgrave earlier. Maybe Grab up the higest rated Tackle still on the board. This is a pick, no matter the position, that should produce a contributor either this year or next (if OT).
Perhaps package a 5th and a 6th to try to get toward the top of the 4th round where RBs Tank Bigsgy, Dewayne McBride or 1 of my favorites, Kendre Miller, should still be available. These are guys picked in spots where Cam Akers shouldn't feel threatened, but probably should be.
Another thing is that there are some Edge guys that are going to go in the 181 - 210 range that I would love to see the Rams take 2 of, even if they got an edge in round 2 or 3. Guys like, Jose Ramirez, Ochaun Mathis, Thomas Incoom, Durell Nchami all have outstanding potential and the right body types. They just need some coaching up and to either add some pass rush moves or get a little stronger.
Lastly, I would really like to see the Rams grab a versatile FB like Hunter Luepke in the 7th round. He can be your fullback, your H-back and your goal line power back. Not to mention he can be a gadget guy who can both catch the ball and even throw it a bit. So many teams are thriving with guys where the defense doesn't know what to expect from them. Luepke could be that Swiss army knife they've lacked for a long, long time.
No, this isn't the year I expect the Rams to make a big splash in the draft with offensive skill players. If they try to do that, I think it bites them in the butt. The reality is that more highly rated defensive players are likely to fall to them, especially at CB and even S. So, if they don't force things, I would expect to see more defensive players added via the draft than offensive players. Yes, even with the talk of McVay wanting to build a KC-like offensive, I think he's going to have to wait another year (2024) to do that. At least if he plays it smart.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

What I THINK 100s of mock drafts is teaching me...

PSJRam147March 15, 2023 05:29PM