Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Blinkscout Combine analysis ... WRs

March 09, 2023 11:50AM
alyoshamucci
This is an interesting class of WRs ... and the testing bore that out, I feel. There are rising players that I have off my board because they can't stay healthy ... there are only 2 "Top" prospects and I don't know that either one gets a top ten grade from me. This makes for a mess of evaluations, and I'm definitely seeing guys higher on my board than others and dropping some players that are high ...

When all is said and done, I don't believe more than 3 WRs go off the board in round 1. A fourth would be a reach IMO.

There were some injuries, some 40s not run, as is usual.

Note: I am in need in my big fantasy league of rookie WRs, so I have put in a ton of time with these guys. And if you're new to my scouting, I scout my players for their entire college careers. I track expectation of progress and follow them through adversity.

Also? I think we're looking for someone here ... Maybe as early as late in the second round.

If I had made the invites, 3-5 guys wouldn't be here and some smaller school kids would be.

Jordan Addison, USC He needed to run faster. And he needed to be bigger than 173. Not just the 40. The 10, the 3 cone, the short shuttle. He's coming off of a year where he was not the best WR on his team by the end of the year and put up pedestrian numbers even though paired with Caleb Williams. When he won the Biletnikoff with Pickett I had doubts that he would keep it up the following year ... but the pundits kept him top 10 or 20. I don't have him in the first round. I am wondering where in the second round to put him, or if he needs to drop another. I was also disappointed in all of his week. Size, speed. He was never my #1 WR, so all the combine did was make me feel better about that. I have him still in the 1st

Ronnie Bell, Michigan Ten years ago, I would have ignored this type of player, regardless of three years straight all big ten achievements with multiple different QBs. Now I have him top 64. Has vice lock grips for hands, fast enough 40, with a 3 cone under 7 and a 4.15 SS (upper level). Great field workout as I expected. Gritty player. You like him more than I do, I have him in the first half of day 3. I'm probably way low on him.

Jake Bobo, UCLA Didn't run the 40. Dropped weight from 218 or so to 206 to not be confused with a TE at 6-5. He runs crisp routes and has really solid hands and run after catch. I heard we met with him, but I get the feeling he won't last as long as we'd want him to. Day 3 guy to me. I like his route running and hands as well. I could see him as a Rams target. Curious on his speed.

Kayshon Boutte, LSU This is a value pick in this draft, because he's not sexy enough to get high in round 2 even though he's a smooth player. He had weak burst numbers, which I expected. He could slide to the 4th or 5th to be honest. I have a late 3rd round on him. He started his career as a possible first round pick, and has fallen. On day 3 he could be a steal.

Jalen Brooks, South Carolina Tested poorly, and honestly, I have no idea why he's here. Of all the invites, this one was most boggling considering which players were snubbed. agreed

Jason Brownlee, Southern Mississippi So this kid is a sleeper for me, and would likely be on an all underrated team. He ran a 4.59 40, but ... I don't think it's his real time because his burst and agility numbers are nuts. His 10 yard split is above average, but his 10-11 broad and 40 vert says he has burst and juice for a tall WR with long arms. I liked his drills, saw what I saw on tape with his smooth natural hands. He's still a late round flier ... yeah, I see the same

Jacob Copeland, Maryland Meh. UF transfer to MD ... small hands ... not great routes or hands. I don't know if he's dfraftable, but he tested well so Im not surprised he was here with the other 2 MD WRs.

Jalen Cropper, Fresno State We talk a lot of Fresno State here on the board ... Cropper has speed for days, had a nice day catching the ball and running routes ... he's not bursty or powerful ... so he'll likely be a late day 3 guy as 4th WR insurance. yeah, 2nd half of day 3 IMO. I like him late

Derius Davis, TCU Really had a decent day ... but he's a returner. He won't crack the top 3 WRs ... so wherever someone wants to draft that guy. He and the Liberty guy are almost clones of each other. I expect both to be drafted but they will be limited to special teams most of their careers. Limited roles on offense.

Tank Dell, Houston Great route runner. Sweet hands. Not NFL size. Not on my board. And so of course we met with him. He's also not fast. 3rd round guy IMO. He catches everything his way and was always open, even though the defense knew who Tune was throwing to

Dontay Demus Jr., Maryland I thought he had a good workout. But he's basically average in every area. Someone may see something I don't but I don't know if he's draftable. I actually like this kid on day 3. Coming back from a torn acl a couple years ago. I think his best football is in front of him

Demario Douglas, Liberty See DD above ^^

Josh Downs, North Carolina I have injury red flags here. I wanted him to be faster... but he's pretty quick with his split time. Agility? He didn't run the 3 cone. Crisp in his routes and maybe average on hands. Has had the luck to play with NFL QBs his whole career. I just can't feel him as a second rounder ... and many have him going in the first. He may sneak into the top 64 for me. It's hard when I match him against TEs ... like is he better than Tucker Kraft? No. He's a dynamic playmaker in space and a good route runner. His size probably limits him to the slot. But these guys are always in demand

Grant DuBose, Charlotte Kid had a wild ride to get to Indy (out of football, working multiple jobs), and I weigh that ... his 40 wasn't great, but his split was good and his 3 cone was top 3. This may mean he's our type of guy. Word is he wins 50/50 balls. 6-2 201 ... could be a 6th round steal type of player. I like WRs that can create separation, esp with their route running and he can do it. Not a HR hitter. Like him on day 3

Zay Flowers, Boston College They comped him to Tyler Lockett a bunch. Makes sense. I like him and he's a feisty player. He has really good tape, and 4.42 shows up on the field. Crips routes, etc. Didn't help or hurt himself IMO. Likely gets into the first round out of need. Prolly my #5 WR, and yeah, prolly gets into the 1st round. I like the Lockett comp.

Bryce Ford-Wheaton, West Virginia Tested really well. But his tape is meh. 6-4 221 and 4.38 41 inch vert and 6.97 and 4.15 SS means draftable ST player to me.

Antoine Green, North Carolina I thought his tape with Howell was better than with Maye, so no idea why on that. I like him, but ... it's based on things that can't be tested. His 3 cone is where we like it ... 4.47 is decent. His drills were solid and all that shows up on tape, but none of that gets you past 4th WR I don't think in the NFL.

Jadon Haselwood, Arkansas Barely worth the invite.

Malik Heath, Mississippi Weak numbers, smooth drills, plays better on game day and could be a 3rd WR and gadget guy.

Elijah Higgins, Stanford Offense derailed in Stanford ... I think he should take a year to add ten pounds and perfect blocking and he's a TE. He doesn't have to gain much, he's already 235 and 6-3. Needs to be a TE.

Xavier Hutchinson, Iowa State All conference last two years. Caught passes form Purdy. Had some injuries that I can't ignore ... but he's a solid 2 possession WR. Showed soft hands and smooth route running. 4th round? early day 3 I think. You nailed it.

Jalin Hyatt, Tennessee IMO He's in play for us at 36. I'd prefer the next player at 68 ... but I can se us taking him if he slides to us, which he may not. He showed where his speed is and why he's such a problem for defenses. He's fast coming of the line but then he's still accelerating 30 yards downfield. I learned this on his simulcam. Just lucky there. He's also big game ... so I'm not worried about him not showing up on game day. His ceiling is VERY high. My #4 WR and I think a lock for the 1st. If he isnt the Rams will be hard pressed to pass on him. His profile screams #2 WR.

Andrei Iosivas, Princeton I think this might be our target. The announcers aren't giving him full buzz. He didn't run eye popping numbers like Watson did last year. His Senior Bowl tape was really good, mostly leaving DBs in the dust. Then his workout was second only to Smith-Njigba, and his gauntlet was best in class. Including making everything look easy. 19 reps. 4.12 SS 6.87 3 cone. 39 vert. We know small school kids can make it ... I'd even draft him after a trade down in the second. I think I'll have him in the 3rd, but I could see him in the 2nd, and in front of some guys that would shock me. I've liked him for a while now.

Kearis Jackson, Georgia this kid is intriguing. I think injuries kept him out but he was an ascending kid at UGA for a while. Good burst #s but slower 40 for his size. Likely a slot.

Rakim Jarrett, Maryland Athlete with an okay workout. I feel more likely a special teamer.

Michael Jefferson, Louisiana Decent 3 cone ... okay drills ... maybe a 4th WR.

Jaray Jenkins, LSU plays more like a TE. But no where near big enough.

CJ Johnson, East Carolina No workout, Im guessing injured ... but he's an after the catch monster.

Quentin Johnston, TCU In my top 2 ... He jumped high and far ... and his drills were solid. I was worried about his gauntlet. He did fine. He's not a super natural hands guy, but he gets it into his mitts. A note ... I expect him to be a 4.35 guy. But ... he has an NFL move already (I like it when they do). His catch-and-pivot out of a tackle is next level. He catches a ball in one spot ... but he can pivot either way and create 2 yards of movement. That's rare. If you try to tackle him where he caught it, you'll likely graze him. If you break down and wait till he gives his move away, you'll have to deal with his burst. I watched a lot of TCU, and I'm going to say maybe one person got him down on this all year. was my #1 going into the year and didn't move. A potential #1 WR in any offense.

Charlie Jones, Purdue See Iosevas. Another guy not getting buzz. Best WR in the Big 12. Huge in big games. I did not expect him to run a 4.43. Burst numbers good not great. Could last because of his size but if he gets into the 4th or 5th IM looking at him. Could go much earlier. yeah, he's a sneaky good player, day 3 guy that could really surprise

Malik Knowles, Kansas State No workout, guessing injured. Late rounder, likely 4th WR could have possession upside.

Matt Landers, Arkansas Tape isn't great but KJ Jefferson is unstable. Ran really well but has a slight frame. I feel like a poor man's DJ Chark is the right comp. Workout caught me off guard because he doesn't play like that. Still a day 3 guy for me

Marvin Mims Jr., Oklahoma Freshman all American that dealt with injuries then lost Lincoln Riley and Caleb Williams. Another target of mine for the 3rd. In my opinion he should not get that far because he has a full route tree, crisp routes, great hands and speed for days. I also think he's faster than his 4.38, because he had a 1.55 split and that doesn't track with his burst #s. Thick and muscular, Im not really worried about injuries. I think he is a 3rd rounder, seems right. Could go higher and that wouldn't shock me. I wish he was a tad heavier/bigger

Jonathan Mingo, Mississippi Will be underrated and on my radar. Big hands, smooth routes, and NOT slow. Is he AJ Brown? No. Could he be a poor man's AJ Brown? Yes, he never had solid QB play. Yeah, I like him as well, middle round guy IMO. Strong WR. Love his size

Puka Nacua, BYU Injuries have him off the board for me. But if he could stay healthy? 2nd-3rd round guy.

Joseph Ngata, Clemson You're looking at a high level possession WR who had down year with an inconsistent QB.

Trey Palmer, Nebraska He's fast. Tape at Nebraska is just hard to judge on. I'd try him at special teams and see if he can develop. Nebraska was hard to watch, needs coaching, but could be the designated deep threat early in his career?

A.T. Perry, Wake Forest Another possession receiver, can make tough catches and catches in traffic. 4th-6th. but also better speed than I thought. Long, lanky kid with solid hands, under developed route tree, day 3. Lots of upside

Jayden Reed, Michigan State May have his best football ahead. Did drills at full speed. Not perfect hands ... but he's intense and I can't ignore that. Early day 3 guy that has aligned everywhere, seems like he has a high IQ and willing to do whatever it takes for the team. I like him in round 4.

Rashee Rice, SMU one of my faves coming in that got buzz early. Im glad he didn't blow it up, as Im eyeballing WR in the 3rd as the best spot for value. Note, his ten yard split should have had him faster so Im throwing out the 4.5. He jumped crazy as well (41). His acceleration coming out of breaks is his game. Drills expectedly good. He would be my target in the 2nd round. Absolutely love this kid. Love his size, his athleticism, good hands.

Tyler Scott, Cincinnati Floats when he runs. Rarely see that.

Justin Shorter, Florida 6-4 229. 4.55 40. Solid drills, but might be a TE. He's not sudden enough to win against DBs I don't think.

Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Ohio State Don't care about his 40. The other in my top 2. His 3 cone and short shuttle were top 5 all time at the position. Hands are magnets. If you can reconnect him with Fields the Bears may be saved. My 2 or 3 , BEST route runner in the draft, all he does is get open.

Cedric Tillman, Tennessee Missed most of what could have been his best year ... so I don't have the tape I want. Higher end #2 WR at the next level but he may slide ... Drills were smooth but not exceptional. Seems like a big possession WR to me, day 3.

Mitchell Tinsley, Penn State Meh.

Tre Tucker, Cincinnati Return man.

Parker Washington, Penn State No drills ... could be a Golden Tate type, but I wanted numbers.

Jalen Wayne, South Alabama I expected better after seeing him at the Senior Bowl. Not sure what to do with him now. He looked jumpy and didn't test really well.

Dontayvion Wicks, Virginia Pulled a hammy or groin in the 40 so no drills ... and throw the 40 out. 39 vert for burst. Big hands ... and could be a steal. One of the few guys that will be drafted later that could be a #1.

Michael Wilson, Stanford Injuries have him off my board, but he's the biggest riser in the postseason process. Likely to go in round 2 based on chatter. He's an athlete, hands are average or below ... and he simply hasn't been on the field. Raw and injury concerns have him sliding to day 3, could be a steal if he can stay healthy. The skill set is there.

I'll get the QBs today as well. I start on D tomorrow.

Think I was pretty verbose about who I was thinking we might want ... so no italics. Again, I think we address this in the draft and likely early. I think Ramsey is traded and we add OL in FA. So I see weapons in this draft. Edge, WR, TE, CB.

Questions and comments welcome.

Don't waste your time looking back, you're not going that way. - Ragnar Lothbrok
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Blinkscout Combine analysis ... WRs

alyoshamucci331March 08, 2023 07:51AM

Cropper.....

21Dog110March 08, 2023 04:51PM

NewportRam84March 08, 2023 06:49PM

Deadpool98March 09, 2023 11:50AM

Yeah I think I'm gun shy on Dell after Tutu.

alyoshamucci76March 10, 2023 05:29AM

leafnose57March 10, 2023 08:17AM