Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

In fairness to McVay

February 18, 2023 07:50AM
Rams43
There was the 2017-2021 version.

And there was the 2022 version.

Which version will we see in 2023? Play calling? Run/pass balance? Game planning? Decisions on who to start and/or give snaps/targets to?

I will say that I’m VERY encouraged by three things I’ve seen so far in this offseason.

1. McVay’s willingness to offload nonproductive asst coaches. I believe 8 were fired or ‘allowed to leave’. That seems like a big number to me.

2. The hires so far seem well thought out and should be positive effects at needed position groups.

3. I am particularly impressed with the Lake and Pleasant hirings for Rams secondary. I now feel that those players will get maximum development opportunities AND that those 2 coaches will have a positive effect on Morris in terms of variation of aggressiveness and disguising schemes. If Snead can bring in a solid edge and CB then I think this D can be quite effective.

IOW, for this offseason? So far, so good.

The prodigy McVay may be back in the building. Fingers crossed.

Agree with all the criticism's you have with McVay in the last year or 2. However, I wonder how much the "poaching" of his coaching staff has hurt him?

I am not sure he has been fully able to delegate responsibilities the way he would have liked to. Instead, I think he might have been trying to do too much to make up for the loss of all those coaches.

Did he really want Liam Coen for OC? I don't think so. When you lose your OC multiple times and also lose the coaches under the OC who could be promoted it makes it hard to staff the guys you really have confident in.

Did he really want Morris for DC? I don't think so. In fact, he even made Morris run someone else's scheme because McVay obviously wasn't impressed or confident enough in Morris to let him run his "own" scheme.

I think all that "change" led to some of the questionable decisions by McVay. I wonder how much different things would be if we didn't lose 2-3 coaches EVERY year and McVay would have been confident in "delegating" more responsibility to.

I wonder how much the "McVay Effect" has "effected" McVay?

#HelmetHornsMatter

“Well, the color is good, I like the metallic blue,” Youngblood recently said while laughing, via NFL Journal. “The horn is terrible. It looks like a ‘C.’ When I first saw it on the logo I honestly thought it was a Charger logo.

“Now when I see it on the helmet, it just isn’t a ram horn. There is no distinct curl like a mature ram horn. I don’t know how the Rams could get that wrong. That is your symbol and it has been for what? Seventy years or more? Longer than I have been alive? It’s just not us, it’s not the Rams.”---Mr. Ram Jack Youngblood

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2023 07:53AM by Ramsdude.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

The Sean McVay effect Attachments

Ramsdude435February 18, 2023 05:21AM

We’ve seen two versions of Sean McVay as HC…

Rams43139February 18, 2023 07:17AM

In fairness to McVay

Ramsdude137February 18, 2023 07:50AM

Re: In fairness to McVay

Ramstien79February 18, 2023 01:55PM

Re: In fairness to McVay

BerendsenRam137February 18, 2023 02:33PM

Re: The Sean McVay effect

Killrazor155February 18, 2023 11:47PM