Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Conrad Dobler dies at '72

February 13, 2023 10:50AM
Dude was tough as nails! We could use a few guys on the OL as tough as he was!

May he rest in peace!

Conrad Dobler dies at 72
Posted by Mike Florio on February 13, 2023, 3:42 PM EST
St. Louis Cardinals

Former NFL offensive lineman Conrad Dobler, who reveled in his reputation as a player who landed from time to time on the wrong side of the rulebook, has died. He was 72.

Dobler entered the league as a fifth-round draft pick in 1972, selected by the then-St. Louis Cardinals. He spent six years with the Cardinals, two with the Saints, and two with the Bills.

Dobler was a second-team All-Pro in 1976, and a three-time Pro Bowler, qualifying for the game in 1975, 1976, and 1977.

“He was the kind of tough, physical and fierce player that you love to line up with as a teammate and hate to line up against as an opponent,” Cardinals owner Michael Bidwill said in a statement. “On the field, Conrad was a big reason for the success of the Cardiac Cards of the 1970s.”

Dobler played in 129 regular-season games, with 125 starts.

Dobler landed on the cover of Sports Illustrated with this headline: Pro Football’s Dirtiest Player. In the article, Dobler admitted to dirty play — but he offered a justification.

“I’ll do anything I can get away with to protect my quarterback,” Dobler said.

We extend our condolences to Dobler’s family, friends, teammates, and colleagues.

#HelmetHornsMatter

“Well, the color is good, I like the metallic blue,” Youngblood recently said while laughing, via NFL Journal. “The horn is terrible. It looks like a ‘C.’ When I first saw it on the logo I honestly thought it was a Charger logo.

“Now when I see it on the helmet, it just isn’t a ram horn. There is no distinct curl like a mature ram horn. I don’t know how the Rams could get that wrong. That is your symbol and it has been for what? Seventy years or more? Longer than I have been alive? It’s just not us, it’s not the Rams.”---Mr. Ram Jack Youngblood

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Conrad Dobler dies at '72

Ramsdude235February 13, 2023 10:50AM

Re: Conrad Dobler dies at '72

BerendsenRam71February 13, 2023 11:01AM

Re: Conrad Dobler dies at '72

Ramsdude137February 13, 2023 11:07AM

Conrad Dobler interview

Ramsdude103February 13, 2023 11:09AM

DANG! I remember watching the Cards host Miami in 1977.

Ramgator66February 13, 2023 12:27PM

I believe he was the only player Merlin Olsen did not like.

Ramgator57February 13, 2023 12:28PM