Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wait..."Press coverage" actually worked?

February 01, 2023 10:11AM
Rams43
Championship Sunday shows me Rams need secondary help

[ramblinfan.com]

by Bret Stuter

There were no cushions for receivers on NFL Championship Sunday. With the games on the line, with a win-or-go-home scenario, four NFL teams, and four defenses, proved that their secondaries could play effective press-man or man coverage. That is something that the LA Rams defense was unable to do in 2022.

And it’s something that the Rams need to get back to.

Zone pass coverage has its place in the palette of NFL defensive options. I get that. But the LA Rams simply failed to construct a viable pass defense with players who could flip to anything other than the very predictable, and frustrating, shell coverage that lined up defensive backs 10+ yards off the ball.

The Rams’ offense was quite predictable. Teams understood that jumping out to a quick lead ensured that the Rams’ offense would pivot from a balanced attack to pass-only mode. Once that happened, defenses salivated over the concept of pass rushing against the second, third, and sometimes fourth-string offensive linemen in a no-holds-barred attempt to get to the quarterback.

But at the same time, the Rams’ secondary was stuck in a rut as well. The Rams safeties were ill-suited to cover anyone in pass defense, so the Rams’ solution was to place two safeties in center field, pull the cornerbacks off the line of scrimmage about 10 yards, and then hope that offenses would bite and keep everything in front of the defensive backs. It may have worked if the Rams’ offense had built up a 21-point lead. But combining that with the Rams’ offensive futility, and that strategy simply allowed opposing offenses to control the clock with the lead.

Was it the best that the LA Rams could do? With the defensive backs on the roster, I think so, yes. The LA Rams need to upgrade their safety position and add a cornerback who can play man coverage as needed.

Imagine that. Teams really did play "press coverage" on Sunday? I thought we were told that didn't happen and "press coverage" doesn't work in the NFL?

Does this guy have any "stills" to back up his claims??? Hogwash I say!

Did the "haters" here at the Herd write that article? rolled eyes smiley

#HelmetHornsMatter

“Well, the color is good, I like the metallic blue,” Youngblood recently said while laughing, via NFL Journal. “The horn is terrible. It looks like a ‘C.’ When I first saw it on the logo I honestly thought it was a Charger logo.

“Now when I see it on the helmet, it just isn’t a ram horn. There is no distinct curl like a mature ram horn. I don’t know how the Rams could get that wrong. That is your symbol and it has been for what? Seventy years or more? Longer than I have been alive? It’s just not us, it’s not the Rams.”---Mr. Ram Jack Youngblood

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Championship Sunday shows me that Rams need secondary help…

Rams43194February 01, 2023 09:17AM

Shockingly simple defensive scheme analysis

promomasterj77February 01, 2023 09:30AM

Well . . . Attachments

JimYoungblood53105February 01, 2023 09:57AM

Wait..."Press coverage" actually worked?

Ramsdude122February 01, 2023 10:11AM

Okay, they asked for it.

JimYoungblood5379February 01, 2023 10:19AM

Re: Championship Sunday shows me that Rams need secondary help…

mtramfan122February 01, 2023 10:37AM

Chiefs play a lot of man--Spags blitzes, zone dogs...How does it work? Attachments

JimYoungblood53154February 01, 2023 11:03AM

Receipts-2021-22, How does Morris' defense rank with 2022 Final 4? Attachments

JimYoungblood53129February 01, 2023 11:26AM

Mistake in TDs allowed column. Chiefs are the worst Attachments

JimYoungblood5361February 01, 2023 01:49PM

To me it reinforced the need for OL help

Hazlet Hacksaw61February 02, 2023 03:55AM

↑↑↑This↑↑↑

Ramsdude57February 02, 2023 04:17AM

Philly-DL maybe 7-8 deep waves of rushers

JimYoungblood5353February 02, 2023 05:48AM

no question they need additions to the secondary

LMU9358February 02, 2023 05:33AM

Re: no question they need additions to the secondary