Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A "Should Rams trade Aaron Donald" post by Ramsey...

August 23, 2017 11:03AM
Strictly for your entertainment and for discussion. (Slightly edited)

Here's Ramsey...

I love Aaron Donald in horns! Wouldn't it be great if Aaron retired a life long Ram a decade from now, assured of a hall of fame yellow jacket? Wouldn't it be great if diamond studded Super Bowl Ram rings weighed down Aaron's firm hand shake? Wouldn't it be great!

Late last night, my Kool Aid scuttlebutt broke down during a Goff driven Ram TD Drive, on late night NFL channel Ram/Raider rerun. I ran out of Kool Aid and everything was OK. I didn't need the Kool Aid! Suddenly sober as a suffragette schoolmarm, I gleefully cheered Goff tossing a touchdown pass to Cooper Kupp! I thought, "Johnny Hekker's days of leading the league in punt attempts are over." For sure, Hekker will boom and cannon kaboom countless punts, pinning the enemy deep inside their own terror-tory! Johnny Hekker is the best punter ever! Best ever! Best ever, and that brings me to my point- the subject of this thread. Up until now I've been circumventing the issue and avoiding pain.

Should the Rams trade the best ever DT during his prime? OUCH! It pains me to print trade Aaron Donald.

Ramdom Thoughts...
- Aaron Donald's holdout is painful and divides the fan base. I wouldn't know the effect on Ram's lockeroom.
- In my opinion, it would be easier to trade Aaron Donald under his rookie contract than after a ball busting, record setting contract extension. Easier to trade? WTF do you mean Ramsey? What does Aaron's rookie contract net him in 2017 and 2018? Something like 1.6 million and 6.5 million.

What would the Cowboys look like with Aaron Donald smack dab it the middle of the Cowboy defensive line? Super Bowl? Would the Cowboys give Zack Martin, a 1st, 2nd, and a 4th for Aaron Donald? Maybe Aaron would play for less in Texas ( no state income tax) for a chance to win twin SuperBowl Rings? Maybe so...maybe not.

What could we get for Aaron Donald? Draft Picks are iffy. I would prefer a young all pro caliber offensive lineman and draft picks. For example Titan- Taylor Lewlan and a 1st and 3 rd round draft pick. Am I asking too much? Too little? I don't know. Frankly, I haven't studied the trade value of Aaron Donald. I'm sure several members have a better idea of Aaron Donald's trade value.

I have several hours reasoning out Aaron Donald's contribution to a perineal playoff team. I can totally visualize Aaron Donald transforming a run of mill playoff team into odds on Super Bowl favorites. And though I'm optimistic about 2017, Goff and McVay, I wouldn't bet my life savings on the deep Ram playoff run.

Now to nitty-gritty logic. Why would I trade Aaron Donald? First, I won't address Donald's holdout. You guys already discussed Donald's holdout from every conceivable angle I can comprehend.

Protect Goff. Invest in offensive line. My football logic…

1. Ram fans crave a perennial playoff team that contends yearly for the Superbowl. Right?
2. Only proven way to achieve perennial playoff team is franchise QB. Rules favor QB’s and offense. Just the way it is…
3. Lose QB to injury the season is toast. Avoid QB injuries by investing in offensive weapons (WR’s, TE’s, RB’s) and offensive line. (Clearly, McVay has already done so and dramatically improved the Rams offense )

4. Either Goff is a franchise QB or he is not a franchise QB. Time will tell.

5. If Goff isn’t a franchise QB... then Aaron Donald won’t lead us to the playoffs year after year. AD is the best defensive football player on the planet and AD hasn’t got Rams in the playoffs yet. In my opinion, AD is a luxury that I’m proud to call a Ram, however...

6. If Goff is a franchise QB, the Rams will have to pay 12%-14% of their Salary Cap toward keeping Goff. How does that leave room for the Rams to allocate 10%-12% of Salary Cap toward AD? It's not healthy. I'd rather bet on a tried and true Super Bowl strategy...

Two players eating 25% of salary cap does not equal a perennial playoff team. Therefore Rams must consider trading Aaron Donald.

Or- Force AD to play out his rookie contract. Two years of cheap All pro play. By then we'll know if Goff is our Franchise QB. However, we won't be able to trade AD because Donald will be a FA, injured, or franchise tagged.

If Donald continues on his Hall of Fame trajectory... and Jared Goff is franchise QB we've been praying for, then Rams will have to pay Jared Goff the contract of the decade! If that happens the Rams won't franchise tag Donald because Rams won't be able to afford Donald.

Is there a better time than now to trade Aaron Donald?
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

A "Should Rams trade Aaron Donald" post by Ramsey...

Rams43926August 23, 2017 11:03AM

Not gonna happen, next. Nm

max225August 23, 2017 11:14AM

Re: Not gonna happen, next. Nm

Rams43311August 23, 2017 12:08PM

Trust my judgement on this one...

max234August 23, 2017 02:28PM

Re: Trust my judgement on this one...

Old Goat246August 23, 2017 02:32PM

Re: Not gonna happen, next. Nm

BeachBoy225August 24, 2017 12:48AM

If he wants to rip up his contract

no name243August 23, 2017 11:18AM

If we were staying in a 4-3 I would say no!

Los Angeles Lenny266August 23, 2017 11:23AM

Well, I like Mr. Ramsey's hypothetical

Old Goat275August 23, 2017 02:19PM

Re: On ESPN today they talked about trading..

tomatosan329August 23, 2017 06:05PM

Re: On ESPN today they talked about trading..

dzrams242August 23, 2017 06:06PM