Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: My thoughts and Impressions on tonights win over the Raiders

August 19, 2017 10:13PM
GreatRamNTheSky
1. Jared Goff, counting his playing time vs Dallas on his performance tonight vs the Raiders has shown to be every bit the number one overall choice he is.
I believe his QB rating for the summer is 114. Pretty damn good!

What has Goff shown us in his two appearances this summer that you do not like? I'd say you would be hard pressed to name what they are.
To me, I've loved everything he's done in both games. He's been poised, he has been accurate, and he has led this team like a franchise QB should.
Yah, its only pre-season game number 2. But it was the Raiders tonight who have a decent defense and he was playing against their ones. He also faced the cowboys ones the week before. Results? 4 of 5 drives have been scoring drives. 3 TDs and one field goal. He would have had a TD pass to Watkins tonight if the Raider DB had not been allowed to get away with an arm bar which is technically interference. The ball couldn't have been any more on the money.

Actually it was 4 of 6 (3 of 4 today and 1 of 2 last week, the first drive last week was a 3 and out but we got the ball right back).

2. Was good to see a running game tonight and Todd Gurley was big part of that. Welcome back Todd!

3. Pass protection was great! Raiders got to Goff only once.

4. Cooper Kupp is going to be a star.

He will be hard to get off the field. Watkins, Kupp, Woods is a nice 3 WR set. Add in Everett and Higbee and you have quite a few weapons. I assume one of Thomas/Reynolds is active each week and the same for Tavon/Cooper.

5. Gerald Everett has been productive in both games and he is showing why he was the top pick for the Rams this year.

I think he will become the #1 TE before the season is over. My guess is around the London game.

6. Mike Thomas was great tonight vs Oakland.

Any news on his injury? He may be entering into the concussion protocol.

7. Josh Reynolds looked like the WR at Texas A&M he was on that TD catch to win the game.

If you watch the rams' broadcast on CBS, the third broadcaster (I think it was Jeremiah) predicted the rams winning on a TD pass to Reynolds right after Oakland took the lead.

8. Justin Davis over Malcom Brown. Its not even close. There are not many starting running backs who have to ability to make one decisive cut and explode for big yardage like Davis has shown us in two games. And he hung to the ball tonight.

9. Nelson Spruce may not make the team.

Spruce's skill that would have been invaluable LAST year was his hands. He would have been a tremendous boost in the Rams ability to convert third downs last year, as we lacked players who can run a 4 yard route when you need 4 or a 7 yard route when you need 7 and then catch the ball. The problem for Spruce is that the new regime brought in a number of players with good hands as well (Kupp, Woods, Everett, and Watkins), so his strength is not needed as much. In contrast, Reynolds and Thomas provide the ability to go deep and add big chunks. Cooper seems to be ahead of him and one has to think that Tavon outranks Spruce as well. So even though I was/am a big Spruce fan, as his skills are redundant with those ahead of him, I do not see a spot for him on the squad.

10. Pharoh Cooper is good but how do you keep him over Josh Reynolds and/or Mike Thomas?

Well Thomas is off until week 6. So 6 deep at WR gets you Woods, Watkins, Kupp, Austin, Reynolds, and Cooper to start the season. So no need to worry about that issue for a while.

11. Somebody get Troy Hill longer spikes on his shoes? LOL smiling smiley

12. Rams are loaded in the secondary. I've never seen them so deep with corners and Safeties before.

13. Why is Robert Quinn not playing. How many days off does he need. He's only 27. I am getting concerned.

Think baseball and pitch counts. Quinn has had back issues. The rams don't want to aggravate anything there. Quinn has gone down with back issues multiple times over the last few years (as has Kershaw going back to baseball). The risk/reward ratio for giving Quinn a lot of preseason action is really not very good. Yes, you would like him getting some reps as a 3-4 LB, but you don't want him to tweek his back this early in the year. I expect he will get some action next week just to get his feet wet and then be off until Week 1.

14. Offensive line, starters and scrubs looked much better vs Oakland.

15. Is the Travis Coons experiment over yet. Please!
Whereas the experiment may hurt the rams chances of winning (or of preparing for ST punt coverage), it really is not a big issue in the great scheme of things.

16. Josh Forrest may be starting very soon.

17. New linebacker Tull played well tonight and he impressed.

18. Its only game two of pre-season but we have a lot to be enthused about. Lets stick around and see what happens.
thumbs up smiley

Grits

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2017 10:33PM by The Professor.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

My thoughts and Impressions on tonights win over the Raiders

GreatRamNTheSky1007August 19, 2017 09:46PM

The Professor495August 19, 2017 10:13PM

Steve399August 19, 2017 10:30PM

Good write up Grits nm

six2stack290August 20, 2017 04:33AM

Thanks! nm

GreatRamNTheSky218August 20, 2017 04:35AM

leafnose297August 20, 2017 08:17AM

Rams43260August 20, 2017 09:16AM

With regard to the Brown vs Davis competition...

Rams43301August 20, 2017 09:28AM

Re: With regard to the Brown vs Davis competition...

GreatRamNTheSky225August 20, 2017 12:07PM

Re: Adding 2 more thoughts GRITS........

oldschoolramfan310August 20, 2017 02:38PM

i don't think it's Brown vs Davis

Rampage2K-240August 20, 2017 03:45PM