Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wasn't able to read the article..

November 08, 2022 03:24AM
But Belize is still a gem in the Caribbean.. We initially went to Belize because Mexico was starting to get too crowded.. You had to go further and further south to get away from the hordes of tourists.. Belize is different in that most of the resorts are VERY small and on private islands, so no way for them to get over-crowded.. However, they are building more and more resorts so, honestly, its just a matter of time..

The reefs are fairly pristine due to not being over-dove, like Mexico.. From all the places we've been, Belize - so far - tends to be more reliable as far as seeing lots of larger wildlife, like sharks, dolphins, turtles, rays, and especially green moray eels.. Belize is LOUSY with green moray eels..

I don't like Belize City.. I don't feel safe there.. we are always picked up at the airport and transported to the dock, which is about 5 miles away.. From there we take the boat to the main resort we go to, which is an hour and a half boat ride.. I have actually gotten to be friends with 4 guys who set up little souvenir knickknacks stands by the dock.. They see me and get all giddy because I ALWAYS buy something from every one of them so they can eat that day.... My wife always says, "just give them money so the house isn't cluttered with carved wooden sharks and stuff, but I like buying from them.. I don't even haggle over price - would defeat my purpose..

I haven't seen free diving spearfishing YET, but I'm sure its done there somewhere.. Have only been to two resorts in Belize - glovers Reef Atoll (once) and Turneffe Atoll (about 15 times).. the resort we stay at has fishing packages and they catch any and everything, but I think most of the time they throw it back in..

One of my favorite moments EVER there was when the dive masters invited me to go out with them on a Lionfish slaughter dive.. lionfish are overtaking the reefs there, since they were inadvertently introduced to the Caribbean and have no natural predators there.. So, general rule of thumb is if you see a Lionfish, you kill it, or point it out to the divemaster and he'll stick it.. its the only way to keep the reefs from being destroyed by Lionfish.. Anyways, they invited me out and we killed 125 Lionfish in 50 minutes.. The kitchen then served them as an appetizer for dinner..

Holler if anyone has any questions... Fired we met at the island sent me this pic that I sent to the resort.. Every time we go there, they make a big deal (guests and staff) that the "dude in the pic is here this week".. lol

Friendship is like peeing your pants.. Everybody can see it, but only you can feel the warmth..

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

A great story on Belize and its coral reefs

waterfield190November 07, 2022 04:43PM

This last summer we were planning a trip to Belize...

JamesJM73November 07, 2022 05:57PM

Re: This last summer we were planning a trip to Belize...

waterfield80November 07, 2022 06:40PM

Wasn't able to read the article.. Attachments

sstrams79November 08, 2022 03:24AM