Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Telescope has arrived.... and a bonus 'new car' sub-thread...

October 12, 2022 08:33AM
The final accessory I added came in yesterday.... so it's all here, ready to go... except:

I think I'm going to need a full semester course at MIT to learn how to use it. laughing smiley Ok, I'm exaggerating a bit... but there is definitely some study ahead of me to take full advantage of the scopes capabilities.

Got some yard chores to complete before I can dedicate a night for my first 'viewing'.... I'll let you know.

New Cars.... some time back I wrote about my pickup... it's a 2006 Ford F-150. It's showing it's age. Dents, scratches, paint is not good. But it's been meticulously cared for... never missed an oil change or any other scheduled service. But, and like me, it ain't as beautiful as it once was... which has led too -

"You need a new Pickup"... this from family, friends, pretty much everyone. But as I've been explaining to everyone since I bought it... I want this to be my last pickup. I want to be like my neighbor - "Darcy".... Darcy is a fellow farmer and Darcy has never bought a new pickup in his entire life. He turns 80 later this year. He has 3 pickups, the newest a 1978.... and ALL of them run great! When my closest neighbor to the north comes down the road in his new and shiny Dodge Ram Pickup no one gives it a second look... but when Darcy comes down the road, in any one of his 3 pickups, you not only take notice but you stand, put your hand over your heart, and admire until he's passed out of sight.

Darcy and I met at the intersection by my house yesterday, a common occurrence... and chatted a while. Got to talking about new cars. We had a lot in common in regards to new cars... that is: We don't know how they work. laughing smiley

When I got in my daughters car recently I had to figure out how to start it.... they put those push start buttons in different places. I had no idea how to turn on the lights so that took a few minutes to figure out. Even putting it in gear was like solving a chinese puzzle. Looking at the dash the number of buttons and lights was astronomical... I didn't even bother... I had the car in gear and was going forward and that's all I needed to know or wanted to know. Darcy understood perfectly. He doesn't try either... nor does he have any inclination to 'learn'. Darcy's wife has a 'newer' vehicle with some of those 'all new and modern' buttons and levers and Darcy avoids it like the plague.

So I've decided I'm sticking by my old clunker unless it completely dies... and if it does die..... I'm going into mourning... and when I get a 'newer' pickup I'm going to berate it daily for..... well, best said by quoting a civil war soldier who described a pompous and overly adorned general as having "Too much tail on that kite". - JamesJM
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Telescope has arrived.... and a bonus 'new car' sub-thread...

JamesJM110October 12, 2022 08:33AM

Getting new stuff is a double edged sword..

sstrams74October 12, 2022 09:26AM

Wish you were wrong, but you're not....

JamesJM61October 12, 2022 09:47AM