August 10, 2022 06:23AM
I'm sure every state has places like this... I'm referring to Panoche Elementary School. It's located not far from me 'as the crow flies'... but a bit of a drive to get there because there are several miles of dirt roads... unless you go the long way around... then you have an ultra-modern one lane paved road. laughing smiley

So anyway... currently the school has 7 students, total. 1 teacher. Grades K thru 8. Most of the students live in the surrounding mountains... and some travel quite far to school each day. There is nothing around the school.. no homes, no businesses.. although - the Panoche Inn, (well known by bikers), is only maybe 2-3 miles west. After 8th grade they travel 26 miles to the nearest High School.

The Ghost Town New Idria is in the area....which did have a few people living there until a few years ago.... and there very well could be a few hermits still there... but the post office closed years ago. Back in it's day it was a boom town... mercury, asbestos, quicksilver. I think the last time the mines were mined was back in the 40's.

Today the people in the area, the students parents, are mostly cattle ranchers with a little farming, not much. Also somewhat nearby is Mercy Hot Springs, STILL IN BUSINESS. At one time there were several hot springs along the coast range. My grandfather would vacation at them back in the 20's and 30's. All shut down now except Mercy Hot Springs.

So anyway.. places like that fascinate me. Any in your area? - JamesJM
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Out of the way places... know any like this?

JamesJM141August 10, 2022 06:23AM

Stehekin

SeattleRam98August 10, 2022 02:29PM

Have you been there? (nm)

JamesJM72August 10, 2022 02:39PM

Re: Have you been there? (nm)

SeattleRam72August 11, 2022 01:41PM