Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Commuting to Work...

June 13, 2022 03:19PM
I am quite literally dumbfounded by how far some commute to work.

There is, make that WAS, a small farming community about an hour from me that somewhat recently became a mecca for those working in the Bay area, (around San Francisco).... no one can afford housing there anymore... at least no one who isn't a tech billionaire. SO... they commute... how far you ask? Well, no, you didn't... but I'll tell you anyway.

Los Banos is the small town, (was), that I was referring too above. I noticed this some years ago... it was growing, but not just growing... exploding is more accurate. WHY? It made no sense to me until someone took the time to explain it to me... it was people who work in the Bay area but can't afford housing so they bought homes in Los Banos and they now commute to work.

"Well", thought I, "That can't be true. It's a frikkin' 2 maybe 3 hour commute, (One Way), from Los Banos to the Bay area". Turns out it WAS true. I couldn't take that in.

Several years ago a real estate developer submitted a plan to our Irrigation District. (We are unincorporated so the Irrigation district controls things). They wanted to develop a housing project FOR... get this.. BAY AREA workers so they could have affordable housing. From here it is at minimum a 3 hour commute, ONE WAY), and probably more like 4 or 5 hours at that time of day. THAT seemed rational to them... and guess what? It IS rational.... people are DOING that.

Kerman is a town near me... semi-big to me, very small probably to you... maybe 20,000 people? It's further from the Bay area than my home town and YET.... Bay Area employees are buying up the new homes going in. And there is no rail, or air, they have to DRIVE to get to work. Many currently live in Kerman... but they are never seen, or known.. they are leaving home at like 4am and getting back home at 8, maybe 9pm. Their kids stay put, (of course, attending local schools), but they never actually see their parent, (parents), working in the bay area except on holidays or vacation time.

And here's the 'kicker'.. this is NORMAL to them. My gut reaction is to feel pity for them BUT... they think it normal, no pity required. For me... it's whacko insanity. I would work as the McD's french fries cook before I traveled 8 hours a day to get to and from work.

do they have a choice? I think probably not, very sadly.... although personally I would work as a car wash towel dryer before commuting 8 hours a day. For them, however, it's simply life in 2022. - JamesJM
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Commuting to Work...

JamesJM171June 13, 2022 03:19PM

That's nuts...

sstrams75June 13, 2022 04:05PM

Steve, to be honest...

JamesJM86June 13, 2022 04:32PM

I guess it would depend on..

sstrams66June 14, 2022 02:04AM

Re: Commuting to Work...

Aries128June 13, 2022 04:57PM

I think, Aries...