Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Are you referring to the Blue Hole in Dahab, Egypt?

May 29, 2022 12:20PM
Seems like there is a "Blue Hole" in almost every country.. Heck even New Mexico has one in the middle of the state..

Anyways, if that's the location you are referring to, its been nicknamed the Diver's Cemetery.. From what I understand, most of the time they cannot find the bodies, so they just leave plaques with their names on it inside the dive site..

I'm not overly familiar with it, but have read its a deceptively difficult dive site, and unfortunately people with 20 dives under their belt often decide they are prepared for a dive like that, when you REALLY need to be certified for it.. I'll need to look into it more, but I believe 150 people have died in that Blue Hole in Egypt.. Partly because you can access it from the beach, and it appears to be an easy dive..

The biggest reason people die there is because they get "narc'ed" which is nitrogen narcosis, due to being at depth for longer periods.. Nitrogen causes a type of euphoria - causing the diver to make exceptionally bad decisions like continuing to dive deeper, causing one to run out of air or throw an embolism etc.. My wife has gotten "narc'ed" several times.. some people are more susceptible to it that others.. I've never gotten narc'ed, but it also takes me a lot of booze to get tanked..

From what I understand, most of the time they leave the bodies is because they cannot find them.. I'll need to investigate that further.. just seems weird they wouldn't send in a robotic sub, or something...

Friendship is like peeing your pants.. Everybody can see it, but only you can feel the warmth..

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

SST. Question about a Dive location with dead Divers.

Ramgator78May 29, 2022 11:04AM

Are you referring to the Blue Hole in Dahab, Egypt?

sstrams93May 29, 2022 12:20PM

I believe that is the one. nm

Ramgator28May 30, 2022 03:57AM