Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The day I ran against Tommy Smith...

March 25, 2022 01:24PM
Know him? Olympic gold medalist in the 200 back in '68. Told this before... but I was reminded of it today because one of my grandson's is running on that very same track I ran on, in Lemoore, Ca.

I ran against him twice. In the 100 and the 200. I was NOT a 200 man but our guy was sick and didn't come to the meet... coach volunteered me.

The 100 - you will be skeptical about this BUT... I actually was quite fast, or rather, quick. I was ahead of Tommy for 40yds... well, 37 anyway. All I remember from that point in the race was a blur going by me.

The 200 - again, thru 40yds, ok 37, I was again in front.... then that blur sped by me once again. In the 100 I could see Tommy ahead of me when I neared the finish line. In the 200, no. Actually when I crossed the finish line in the 200 I think Tommy had gone to the gym, showered, and gone home.

Al Bundy had 4TD's in one game, (so did I, actually... but looking beyond that)... I think the sports accolade and bragging point I'll take to my grave is that I was ahead of Tommy Smith for 37 yards. I impress very few people with that boast... but I forgive them. laughing smiley
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

The day I ran against Tommy Smith...

JamesJM138March 25, 2022 01:24PM