Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fast Internet coming to my home town? And yours?

March 23, 2022 05:55AM
Living in the boonies has many, many benefits, (at least what I see as benefits), but there are also drawbacks. Fast internet is one of the drawbacks.... if I told you what I have to pay to get speeds that are maybe a tenth of what you get you probably wouldn't believe me.

This only applies to those of you living in the boonies... it will be of no concern to the rest of you.

Up steps Elon Musk... who is starting a new satellite system called Starlink. I'm excited. Speeds over 100mbps? Wow... and NO DATA LIMITS!!!!! That will kill every other Satellite ISP available.

The prices are: $500 for the equipment and then $100 per month, which no doubt sounds exorbitantly high to you but compared to what I pay now it's a bargain. BUT... they are already increasing their prices due to inflation... just got a notice that it's going to $110 per month.

And I don't even have their service as yet... they are still launching the Sat's necessary to bring it to my area. laughing smiley They are saying it should be ready anytime between now and mid-summer. So I'm getting a cost increase before I'm even online. laughing smiley (just kidding, I'm not paying a monthly fee yet).

No doubt the second I'm connected and catch up with the rest of you some new 'tech' will come out instantly putting me 10 years behind the biggest and baddest you guys will have. laughing smiley
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Fast Internet coming to my home town? And yours?

JamesJM159March 23, 2022 05:55AM

Up jumps the devil... I can't believe this...

JamesJM97March 23, 2022 02:55PM

Congrats..! We'll expect you to finally..

sstrams86March 23, 2022 02:58PM