Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The Front Page... old movie, for behind the scenes fans...

March 19, 2022 08:57AM
Right up front this is not a recommendation UNLESS you happen to be at least somewhat a fan of 'film making'. If you're not I don't think you'll make it thru this movie.

Saw this movie for the first time last night. Made in 1931... not too long after sound was introduced. It's a stage play brought to the screen.

Directed by Lewis Milestone... big time director back then. Starring Pat O'Brian and a lot of character actors you may have seen but probably don't know.

First comment: I was very surprised at the content of this film in that I wouldn't have thought it would have made it past the censors back them... sure, very mild by today's standards, probably get "G" rating... but lots of sexual innuendo, delicate subject matter. It's about a group of news reporters waiting for a convict to be executed by hanging. Most consider it somewhat 'comedic'... I didn't get that although some things were funny but to me it was comedic only in that the movie is so dated.. not that it was meant to actually be a little comedic?

Second Comment: Lewis Milestone and the cinematography... this stunned me. This guy was having creative overload. He did things I don't see today. I was in awe of the timing and blocking of the actor's movements and camera movements. They had to have worked their asses off to pull this movie off. Like most stage plays brought to film the dialog is fast and furious... and i'm talking FAST here. To time that with the incredibly exotic camera angles/motion reminded me of perfectly choreographed NFL Stafford to Kupp play... but in this movie the 'play' is nearly 2 hours long... it was ... amazing.

Last Comment.. they spoke a different language back then. The colloquialisms went right over my head. And this happens in nearly every line spoken. I needed 21st century interpretive subtitles. Funny censor - they bleep out son-of-a-@#$#@. Not surprising considering this was made in 1931 BUT it does go to show how edgy they were trying to be with this film.

I studied film making, as you know... (at least a little)... so this movie was an eye opener for me. Some of the blocking, (that's a stage term for getting the actors movements right and today in sync with the camera) was so incredibly artistic that few films of today can match up. Couple of scenes I'm not sure they could pull off today without CGI.

So, you may like the movie, how would I know... but I tend to think not unless, like I said, film-MAKING appeals to you. - JamesJM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2022 08:58AM by JamesJM.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

The Front Page... old movie, for behind the scenes fans...

JamesJM141March 19, 2022 08:57AM