Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Just bought a new External Hard Drive...

February 04, 2022 10:43AM
12TB... just hooked it up, formatted, and got it ready to go. It will primarily be used for backup, (Time Machine for those of you familiar with Apple).

I had to Daisy Chain it because every port on my Computer AND my powered Hub is taken.

So I took inventory.... that's 9 externals I currently have connected. laughing smiley 1 of them is a SSD.

Total of 57TB of storage on externals and another 2TB on the HD in the computer.

I also have about 6TB of cloud storage which I only use for critical data and favorite photos and videos.

I keep 4 full Time Machine Backups at all times.. if one goes out, which just happened, I buy another.. so 4 active backups at all times... 5 if you count the cloud backups. I don't use the cloud often because my ISP Upload speed is extremely slow... a full backup, which would be just over 2TB, would take a week, or longer, to upload.

Brands: I have G-Force, Seagate, Western Digital... I have never lost a G-Force but then those are all fairly new. I've lost Seagates and Western Digitals but not many, been very trustworthy.

I no longer buy NAS drivers.. my luck with them is horrible. They cost a fortune, I've had about 4, not one of them lasted more than a year.

So ok, with all that, wanna bet that somehow, someway, something will happen that crashes it all? laughing smiley
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Just bought a new External Hard Drive...

JamesJM127February 04, 2022 10:43AM

Man, you don't take any chances...

sstrams108February 04, 2022 11:15AM