Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Saw 'One Upon A Time in Hollywood'...

January 05, 2022 06:04PM
this movie got great reviews... Tarantino always does. And I remember it was talked about on this board once with I think all thumbs up. So you won't like my comments. laughing smiley

Actually by the end I upgraded my opinion and yes, I liked it.... far from 'great' but interesting, entertaining. The first half of this movie nearly bored me to death. Most of Tarantino's 'artsy' cinematography didn't work for me... thought it contrived. I came within 5 minutes of shutting it down... really. I said to myself "I'm giving it 5 more minutes and I'm shutting it down".... well, in the next 5 minutes the movie did turn around for me... not sure I'd say it got me interested as much it got me curious.

Spoilers Coming Up:

Have to say this first for those who saw it because I'm pretty sure this is what you'd ask me: Yes, I liked the ending. BUT... that actually wasn't my favorite part of the movie. The part I liked most I'm guessing you won't even remember... or if you do remember it it's highly likely you thought it was the most boring part of the movie. I'm talking about when Sharon Tate goes into the movie theater to watch herself in the Movie "Wrecking Crew" starring Dean Martin. I thought that entire sequence was marvelous... and heartwarming.

Ok back to the ending because no doubt that's the big appeal... again, I liked it... campy but pleasingly campy. You have probably read between my lines and deduced that I'm not a big Tarantino fan. I think he's very talented, loved Pulp Fiction... but, and as I've said before, I'm not a fan of extreme violence, or any violence for that matter when I consider it to be violence just for the sake of violence. And nope, not saying it's 'wrong' to like violence in movies... just saying it's not my cup of tea.

I consider Tarantino a far less talented mimic of the Coen Bros... but still damn talented.

So I'm with the crowd, a thumbs up... but just a much lesser thumbs up than most give it. - JamesJM
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Saw 'One Upon A Time in Hollywood'...

JamesJM162January 05, 2022 06:04PM

I wasn't a thumbs up guy...

sstrams157January 06, 2022 03:00AM

About 40-41 years ago, I recall HBO showed a Documentary on the Manson Family.

Ramgator85January 06, 2022 07:09AM

I watched that Documentary with two Buds. We were all 13 -14 years old....

Ramgator72January 06, 2022 07:12AM

Yeah, they were nuts..

sstrams74January 06, 2022 07:14AM

I was not a fan at all of that movie

ferragamo7982January 06, 2022 07:36AM

Re: Saw 'One Upon A Time in Hollywood'...

SeattleRam100January 06, 2022 12:12PM

Well, watch the last 20 minutes or so..

sstrams79January 06, 2022 12:56PM