September 30, 2021 10:48AM
The first article below came out just a few weeks ago.

‘Bosch’ Spinoff: Cast, Premiere Date, and What Else We Know So Far
Megan Elliott
Published on September 4, 2021

Harry Bosch may have handed over his badge, but he’s not done solving crimes just yet. Amazon’s long-running detective drama Bosch came to an end earlier this year when the show’s titular detective, played by Titus Welliver, closed the book on his final case for the LAPD in the show’s seventh season. But the character will return to TV in an as-yet-untitled new series, which will stream on IMDb TV.

In Bosch Season 7, Harry reached a breaking point in his career as a police officer. Stymied in his efforts to put the people responsible for a deadly arson behind bars, he ended up quitting his job. At the end of the season’s final episode, he was preparing to go into business as a private investigator. Meanwhile, his daughter Maddie (Madison Lintz) had abandoned her goal of being a lawyer and decided to follow in her father’s footsteps by becoming a police officer herself.

The upcoming show — which Welliver told Vulture was a continuation of the original show, not a spinoff — will see Harry in his new role as a PI. Welliver will reprise his role as Bosch. Lintz will also be back for the new show, as will Mimi Rogers as powerful lawyer Honey “Money” Chandler.

Welliver initially thought he’d been replaced as Harry Bosch

It’s hard to imagine a Bosch series without Welliver in the lead role. But when Connelly first told the actor about the new show, he inadvertently gave him the impression he’d been replaced.

“I felt kind of bad because I misspoke when I told him ‘hey we’re going to do a spinoff with Bosch as a private eye’ and he just kind of nodded,” Connelly recalled in an interview with Newsweek.

The prolific author said when he delivered the big news, he didn’t put himself in Welliver’s shoes. “I didn’t think of it in terms of an actor and he thought ‘so you’re gonna reboot it with a younger guy or something,’ he was like ‘who plays Bosch?'” Connelly said.

Connelly quickly assured him they had no intention of recasting the role. “I was like ‘oh my gosh you play Bosch, no one else could play Bosch are you kidding me?’ and then suddenly he lit up and it was a no-brainer.”

Production has already begun on the ‘Bosch’ spinoff

The Bosch spinoff will be based on the book The Wrong Side of Goodbye. Production has already begun on the new episodes, Connelly shared in a June tweet.

Welliver told Vulture that Harry Bosch, Maddie Bosch, and Honey Chandler are the only characters from the original show who will return for the spinoff. The new series will see Harry in a different place in his life, and Welliver said he was eager to explore the evolution of the character.

“I’ve always said to Mike Connelly is that there’s something [special] about the books when Harry leaves the force,” he said. “He’s older, there’s a different kind of vulnerability. He’s not part of the police organization anymore. And the thing about Harry Bosch is that the more vulnerable you make him, the more you push him into a corner, where there’s danger, he becomes more dangerous. The idea of that is very appealing to me.”

When will the new ‘Bosch’ show premiere?
The new Bosch series will have 10 episodes and will be available on IMDb TV, Amazon’s free streaming service. Amazon has not yet announced a premiere date.

‘Bosch’ Spinoff: Michael Connelly Has Revealed Some Major Details About the New Show

Megan Elliott
Published onJuly 20, 2021

Bosch might be over, but Harry Bosch’s work isn’t done. The principled detective at the heart of Amazon’s long-running series is set to appear in another show, this time for Amazon’s free streaming service IMDb TV. Recently, author Michael Connelly shared some important details about what fans can expect from the Bosch spinoff.

The new ‘Bosch’ show doesn’t have a title, but Michael Connelly has some ideas

Connelly penned the series of novels on which Bosch is based and is an executive producer on that show and its spinoff. In a recent interview with Newsweek, he shared some updates on the new series, including that it might be called Bosch or Bosch PI. However, either of those titles raises some potential issues, he pointed out.

“If you call it just Bosch or just Bosch PI, we hesitate because [while] it’s a great thing to bring over the audience — it’s very recognizable, Bosch PI — it does not serve the other things we’re doing with Maddie Bosch and Money Chandler. We’re really building up these two other characters,” he explained.

Titus Welliver will be reprising his role as Bosch in the IMDb TV series. Madison Lintz and Mimi Rogers will both be returning as Maddie Bosch and Honey “Money” Chandler, respectively.

Still, no title has been ruled out — yet.

Bosch PI is “on the list but the list is long,” Connelly said. “Nothing has been vetoed yet because we’re still unsure what to do.”

The ‘Bosch’ spinoff will be based on ‘The Wrong Side of Goodbye’

The show’s title might still be up in the air, but the source material for the first season is confirmed: Connelly’s 2016 novel The Wrong Side of Goodbye. That’s a shift from Bosch, which typically combined elements from multiple novels each season.

“We’re really concentrating on one book, it’s called The Wrong Side of Goodbye, which is to me, of all the Bosch non-badge books, really is an homage to the great PI writers and novelists,” Connelly said.

In The Wrong Side of Goodbye, Bosch, now working as an independent investigator, is hired by an elderly, reclusive billionaire who wants to track down a former girlfriend whom he believes may have given birth to his son.

“It’s very much one of my favorite books; it might be my favorite book because I finally get to the thing that inspired me to be a writer and that was the private eye novels of people like Raymond Chandler, Ross Macdonald and Dashiell Hammett,” Connelly said.

Titus Welliver hints that Harry Bosch might be ‘more dangerous’ in new series

Bosch Season 7 ended with Harry Bosch handing in his badge and deciding to set up shop as a private investigator. It marks a start of a new era for Bosch and the new show will see his character adjusting to his changed circumstances.

In an interview with Vulture, Welliver offered his take on how Bosch changes after he leaves the LAPD.

“I read all the books, some of them multiple times, and something that I’ve always said to Mike Connelly is that there’s something [special] about the books when Harry leaves the force,” the actor said. “He’s older, there’s a different kind of vulnerability. He’s not part of the police organization anymore.

“And the thing about Harry Bosch is that the more vulnerable you make him, the more you push him into a corner, where there’s danger, he becomes more dangerous,” Welliver went on to say. “The idea of that is very appealing to me.”

Bosch Seasons 1-7 are currently streaming on Amazon Prime Video.

[www.cheatsheet.com]

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Waterfield... never asked, last season of Bosch...

JamesJM209September 28, 2021 11:44AM

Re: Waterfield... never asked, last season of Bosch...

Coy Bacon157September 30, 2021 09:42AM

Re: Waterfield... never asked, last season of Bosch...

waterfield158September 30, 2021 10:26AM

The Bosch spin-off

MamaRAMa155September 30, 2021 10:48AM