September 23, 2021 03:05PM
Hell of a trip... just wish I would have had more time so I didn't have to rush everywhere in order to get back for HS Football.

Never the less... saw some great sights. I'm a 'backroad' kinda guy so I stayed off the Freeway as much as possible - which these days ain't easy. Pretty sure I, or rather the countryside, impressed my grandson.. and he's not easy to impress. Of course, if you're not impressed by the Grand Canyon then you can't be impressed.

Lot of stories.. long ones... and the good news is I'm not going to tell them. laughing smiley Well, just this one. Over 60 years I've been searching for my grandfather's grave. I never net him; he died when I was 1. About 15 years ago I discovered which cemetery he was buried in. On a motorcycle trip... to St. Louis to see the Rams... I stopped at the cemetery, middle of Arizona, and searched. Over 5 hours I walked up, down, back, and forth... and couldn't find his grave. The cemetery is no longer in use and many of the headstones had fallen over... I finally gave up figuring my grandfather's headstone had collapsed. I rode home, very dejected.

A few year's later, and I won't tell the story... I was able to discover the "approximate" location of his grave... I swore to return. Hence... this trip just completed, with my oldest grandson... the purpose of the trip to find my grandfather's grave... and place some flowers. I had bought some flowers and placed them on my Mom's grave, (My lost grandfather's daughter... she last track of him long before I was born). I split the flowers in two and took off to Arizona with the other half so Mom and her Dad could be... well, sort of, reunited.

We pulled up at the cemetery, I remembered it well. I had drawn two circles on a screen shot map of the cemetery and told my grandson we'd split up and each take a section.

So if you're wondering... and you're probably not... laughing smiley

Globe, Arizona... 2021, and without any doubt the last two visitors, (me and my grandson), forevermore, to place flowers on Willian Glen Mitchell's grave

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

I'm back, 2,000 miles later... Attachments

JamesJM178September 23, 2021 03:05PM

Re: I'm back, 2,000 miles later...

MamaRAMa69September 23, 2021 03:11PM

Other than finding my grandfather's grave... my favorite part of the trip...

JamesJM79September 23, 2021 04:37PM

Nice story...

sstrams93September 23, 2021 03:56PM

wow he was young when he passed

ferragamo7988September 23, 2021 04:05PM

You'll have to accept my farmer's acreage guess...

JamesJM96September 23, 2021 04:30PM

Great stuff, but you gotta tell us one of those long stories....

roman18113September 24, 2021 03:53AM

Awesome story / find. I think it's really cool you took the time.

Ramgator69September 24, 2021 03:57AM