Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Helping with tech, the most frustrating thing known to man....

August 31, 2021 11:14PM
I’m not going to mention who this person is… for fear that if word got out I’d be fed to pigs while still alive. BUT.. in all fairness - a lot of older people didn’t grow up with all this tech… and their lack of even basic knowledge regarding smartphones, computers, etc. is VERY understandable. In truth... it wasn't the person's fault, it was mine, and my impatience.

So I’m helping a person set up a new iMac, (computer). I’m not asking how said person wants it set up because said person doesn’t have a clue, it's their first computer. I’m going to make everything as easy as possible. BUT… it comes time to set up SIRI… for those of you who don’t know, perhaps you use Alexa, Siri is apple’s version of voice control… like, “Hey Siri, how badly are the Rams going to kick the Niner’s butts this year?”. That type of thing.

Soooooo… I’m not expecting Siri to come up during setup but it does… “Oh well, might as well get it done”, says I to myself. I call the person over and explain. “I’m going to setup up Siri for you, here’s what it does - yada yada yada, and it needs to learn your voice…. simply read what’s on the screen”.

And I click “Begin”, or actually I think it says “Continue”

Up on the screen the computer flashed this, “Say ‘Hey Siri, what time is it?’. My student says nothing. So I point at the screen…. my student just stares at me, blankly. Now I can’t say anything because Siri will hear MY voice. It HAS to be my students voice, to get it right. I’m getting no response. So I began pointing somewhat frantically at the screen…. and mouthing, silently, “Read it… read it… read it”. Nothing. Eventually iMac says, “I didn’t get that, continue or go back?”

So I tell my student, “You have to read what’s on the screen”. My student says, “Oh, ok”… and I click continue. Up on the screen comes, “Say, ‘Hey Siri, what time is it?’” Nothing… my student is reading the screen, saying nothing. so now I’m hysterically pointing at the screen… and finally a response, “Am I supposed to read that?”…. .the computer - “I didn’t get that”.

Ok, lets try this again. “yes, you read, out loud, what you see on the screen”. Student, “Got it”.

Computer - “Say, ‘Hey Sir, what’s the weather like today?’”. Student… “Say Hey Siri, (student read the word SAY), what’s the weather like today… (short pause)… it’s hot”. Computer - “I didn’t get that”.

Me, “ok, that was close. This time just read what is on the screen’. Student, “Got it”.

Computer, “Say, ‘Hey Siri, what’s on AppleTV today?”…. Student, “Say, ‘ Hey Siri’, (pause), I don’t have AppleTV’”. Computer, “I didn’t get that”.

Me, “yes you do, but we’ll get to that later…. in fact, we’ll set up Siri later as well, that ok with you?” Student, “That’s ok with me”.

I finished set up…. didn’t mention a thing about my students AppleTV…. you can only help with tech so much in one day. Unfortunately the next ‘day’ is tomorrow…. been nice knowing you guys. - JamesJM
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Helping with tech, the most frustrating thing known to man....

JamesJM92August 31, 2021 11:14PM