Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

who has a hearing aid

August 06, 2019 11:09PM
I am in the process of getting one. It's a little elaborate and convoluted (partly because my insurance is very particular about who I see).

The only surprise so far is that the doctor who performed my initial hearing test, and who decided I needed a hearing aid, initially started showing me color samples that matched my hair or skin. I said no, I want a brightly colored one that stands out as a hearing aid. She was a little nonplussed by this. I explained that I personally don't get the "be discreet about it" approach and would just as soon that people I encounter KNOW I have a hearing aid. To me that makes the whole social situation simpler and clearer. She acted as if I said I wanted my eyeballs tattooed. (No offense to anyone here with tattooed eyeballs.)

When my youngest daughter heard this story she wanted me to get a spiderman hearing aid.

I declined (and this was joking) and said that I was going to get one based on the design of Eric Clapton's 1967 guitar.

I was kidding around, but, I think my daughter thinks I am serious. ("That would be so cool!" )

Anyway I am finding out that there is a huge amount I don't know or understand about hearing aids.

So if anyone has thoughts, advice, or stories, I am all ears (so to speak).

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

who has a hearing aid

zn173August 06, 2019 11:09PM

they told me they wouldn't help....

JamesJM99August 07, 2019 04:51AM

Re: they told me they wouldn't help....

zn88August 07, 2019 04:28PM

I can hear

zn105August 20, 2019 10:55AM