Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hey Jimmy, let me translate

July 08, 2018 09:47AM
I think you are possibly the only person in even remotely interested in this - and I may be pushing it that you are!

So you keep hearing the 3 Lions song but my guess is you don't really understand it - so here we go.

[Spoken Intro: Alan Hansen]

I think it's bad news for the English game
We're not creative enough, and we're not positive enough

Alan Hansen played for SCOTLAND and as a TV pundit, mocked England. No idea why he said 'we'

Everyone seems to know the score, they've seen it all before
They just know, they're so sure
That England's gonna throw it away, gonna blow it away
But I know they can play, 'cause I remember

Three lions on a shirt
Jules Rimet still gleaming

Jules Rimet was a French guy who started the World Cup. The original trophy was named after him. It was decided that if any team won it 3 times they got to keep it.

Brazil did that in 1970, but it was still called the Jules Rimet when England won it in 1966

Thirty years of hurt

This was written in 1996 when the European Championships were in England, so 30 years after we won it.

Never stopped me dreaming

So many jokes, so many sneers
But all those "Oh, so nears" wear you down through the years

But I still see that tackle by Moore

Bobby Moore was the England captain when we won it, but he dominated Pele in 1970 when we played them in Mexico with 'that' tackle in the video being an example.

Pele said he was the greatest defender he ever played against. Sadly Moore passed away from stomach cancer in his 40's.

When Lineker scored

We were all but out in the 1986 (again in Mexico) after losing to Portugal and then only drawing with Morocco. Lineker scored a hat-trick in our final group game to beat Poland and we advanced.

Bobby belting the ball, and Nobby dancing

Bobby is Bobby Charlton a man who supposedly had the hardest shot in soccer - again you see him scoring in 1966 from over 30 yards out.

Nobby was Nobby Stiles an England midfielder who did this crazy jig after we won (it shows a bit in the video of him dancing, but only a second or two).

Three lions on a shirt
Jules Rimet still gleaming
Thirty years of hurt
Never stopped me dreaming

England have done it, in the last minute of extra time!
What a save, Gordon Banks!

The save Banks made to keep Pele's header out at about 2:10 in the Mexico game is roundly agreed upon as the best save ever. You have to see it slowed won. How Banks got down that low I will never know.

Good old England, England that couldn't play football!
England have got it in the bag!

The two guys who did this were stand up comedians, Baddiel and Skinner. I have seen a LOT of live comedy, but Frank Skinner was the best ever. They were in the white England shirts, the guy in the red was the lead singer of the Lightening Seeds who wrote the music.

And the guy who pushed passed them to grab a glass of wine in the bar was Sir Geoff Hurst who scored the hat trick against Germany in the WC Final in 1966. (BTW, after Hurst and Lineker, Harry Kane is the only man to ever achieve that in a WC for England - good omen?)

So now you know!

Go 3 Lions!

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Hey Jimmy, let me translate

RamUK164July 08, 2018 09:47AM

Wow.....

JamesJM97July 08, 2018 06:54PM