Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I didn't see it in a theater....

February 06, 2018 10:03AM
I saw it at home, with two wives, (mine and my sons), who go bat #$%$ whacko if you go past 1 on the volume meter. So I didn't notice that. Dunkirk is growing on me, BTW.

But as to theaters. This will show you how seldom I go to movie theaters. As mentioned I went to see The Darkest Hour last night... bought the tickets online. I had to choose my 'seat'. You ever hear of that? Confused the heck outta me. Plus, my ticket was on my iPhone. So when I showed up at the theater I had no idea how it was going to work. Maybe if I was a video gamer I would have been more up on things.

So I had to wave my iPhone under a thingie, (I think the technical term for it is a whatzit). That allowed me entry into the theater... but where was my claim to seats D5 and D6, as it said on my iPhone ticket? Nothing.... so I figured for sure I'd walk into the theater and have to do battle with a couple of goth teens already sitting in my seats and spilling beer and mojito's all over the place.

Not so... seats were wide open... in fact - my grandson and I were the only two people in the theater... and not just for the start, during the previews, but for the entire film.

Which brings up the seats. I rounded the corner out of the side aisle and looked into the theater... there were 6 rows of seats in the entire theater. That's 6, as in one less than 7. And they weren't seats, they were Lazy-Boy recliners, with cup holders. AND, they were electronic. Now I'm scared. Somehow, someway, I had left the world I knew and had entered the world of Rogue One, or maybe Blade Runner . AND... I was totally unprepared to do so.... I was still a bit mind-muddled from the Watzit Ticket thingie.

Thank God for my grandson, who calmed me, "It'll be ok, Papa, nothing to fear". Still, I was very happy that when the movie was starting I wasn't handed a video game controller and be expected to participate in the movie.

So I sat. I snuck a peak at my grandson who quickly located the seat controls and with a whirring sound lowered his seat into the reclining position... I mimic'd him and kicked back. My first thought was, Oh, this isn't good, I'll be asleep before the opening titles are finished.... but then, I rethought things and decided, "Wow, this is comfy".

The movie began. Right off the bat there was a major problem. Both my grandson's feet, and mine, were blocking the lower part of the screen. This wasn't good... but I had to live with it. There were, however, benefits, in the lying position there is a much better chance for dropped popcorn to not hit the floor and rather stay put from your collar level to about your knees. Fact is, when I stood up at the end of the movie about a half a large bucket of popcorn hit the floor. Ten minutes into the movie I discovered I didn't even need the bucket. When I got home I came across a few kernels in my shirt pocket, very nice before bed snack.

We were talking about Dunkirk, weren't we? Yeah, I'm going to watch it again. - JamesJM
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

The Darkest Hour - before I see it some thoughts...

JamesJM274February 05, 2018 06:02AM

And while I'm at it... the movie Dunkirk...

JamesJM136February 05, 2018 06:36AM

Dunkirk didn't floor me, either...

sstrams125February 05, 2018 01:14PM

That bugged me as well...

JamesJM159February 05, 2018 01:41PM

I loved Dunkirk with one HUGE exception

waterfield113February 06, 2018 09:10AM

I didn't see it in a theater....

JamesJM144February 06, 2018 10:03AM

Re: I didn't see it in a theater....

waterfield132February 06, 2018 06:26PM

Same here!

Ramgator119February 08, 2018 10:58AM

Re: The Darkest Hour - before I see it some thoughts...

Billy_T174February 05, 2018 11:24AM

Well put....

JamesJM123February 05, 2018 12:45PM

Re: Well put....

Billy_T149February 06, 2018 03:41AM

OK Billy T, no spoilers, I promise...

JamesJM119February 05, 2018 08:47PM

Re: OK Billy T, no spoilers, I promise...

Billy_T136February 06, 2018 03:47AM

Like to make note of one thing....

JamesJM128February 07, 2018 11:54AM

I saw the early release a few weeks back. LOVED IT!!

Ramgator125February 08, 2018 10:57AM