Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

radiation

February 04, 2018 07:29AM
JamesJM
For years now I've been reading that the earth is due for a magnetic shift... could happen any day. With the advent of social media this fact is now used like Y2K was used... to predict doom.

So where does the 'evil' come in? Well... I kind of want to see it happen, because it would be cool. What would it do? Well, could very well be terrible or nothing.. most scientists think 'nothing', or not much.. What's possible? Power interruptions. Your toilet wouldn't flush.

Basically we would become the southern hemisphere... which is probably fair, we've been on top long enough. Longer than the Pats and by a pretty good margin... last magnetic switch occurred, they think, about 780,000 years ago with the 'average' switch occurring every 200 to 300 thousand years... we're overdue.

So now you know my evil side... JamesJM is rooting for world chaos, mass power outages, unflushable toilets, and we'll all have to turn our globes upside down. - JamesJM

It would get animals plants and people.

When the magnetic poles shift, there is a time when there is no field. During that time, solar radiation directly hits the surface of the earth and everything on it. Normally of course it doesn't hit the surface because of course the earth's magnetic field deflects it. It's a magnetic shield, not just a field. And, massive techno-electric catastrophe's aside, that's not good.

You know why Mars basically has no atmosphere? Because solar radiation stripped it away. Mars's core cooled and so the planet lost its magnetic field and the result was, normal solar radiation just stripped off the atmosphere. And of course Mars is further from the sun than the earth. Yet...still.

The earth would not lose its field long enough for that to happen.

To quote one source,

If Earth’s magnetic field disappeared, the entire human race – and all of life, in fact – would be in serious danger. Cosmic rays would bombard our bodies and could even damage our DNA, increasing worldwide risk of cancer and other illnesses.

That's if the field disappeared for a long time. Presumably this would be shorter, but it would be enough top increase skin cancer rates.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2018 07:30AM by zn.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

I'm an evil scientist....

JamesJM277February 01, 2018 07:26AM

You could simulate most of that..

sstrams149February 01, 2018 07:36AM

LOL how come...

JamesJM135February 01, 2018 09:06AM

Couldn't see..

sstrams147February 02, 2018 04:15AM

radiation

zn134February 04, 2018 07:29AM

Hmmm, what I've read...