Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

UGH! Painful Funeral today.

April 27, 2024 01:28PM
A friend of my family passed away last Sunday. He and his Wife (Who passed in 2007) were very good friends of my Mom, going back to the late 1950s. In 1978,79 and 80, they took me to probably a total of 35-50 Jacksonville Suns (AA for the KC Royals then) games. Those games have always been very special/ warm memories for me. They had a Daughter who was in High School at the time. She'd go to a few. But it was mostly their Son who went. They were always such a very happy family. I NEVER EVER heard anyone raise their voice or show drama. He was like another Dad in a way. I was always envious because MY family would find ways to get irked about something. I was strong all week and even walking from my car to the Funeral Chapel. But seeing the Jacksonville Suns cap with him in the casket hurt. Brought back a flood of memories. Since the funeral, 3 hours ago, I have just been in a tired / deflated mood. Been thinking about the Suns games from 44 years ago...Hearing Mrs Shriver talking about seeing Smokey And The Bandit for the ELEVENTH time in the theater and Mr Shriver ALWAYS being kind and low keyed. They were just a lot of fun to be around. We all have talked about this before but this dealing with death as we age......SUCKS!!! I hate having a BIG part of my childhood taken away.

I'll be pulling for the KC Royals a bit more this season. Mr Shriver remained a Royals fan all these years.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

UGH! Painful Funeral today.

Ramgator62April 27, 2024 01:28PM

Re: UGH! Painful Funeral today.

waterfield32April 28, 2024 07:18PM

Thanks. Been thinking of him a lot.

Ramgator16April 29, 2024 01:44AM